• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Product Design Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

will9921

New Member
Joined
12 Feb 2013
Messages
3
Hello,

My name is William Smithson and I am a current third year student undertaking a degree in 3D Design at Falmouth University in the United Kingdom.

For my current project I am aiming to design a series of baggage / luggage pieces that will allow people to travel more easily and efficiently on different transport modes such as trains and aeroplanes. Below is a link to the initial survey I have created for the project and it would be greatly appreciated if you could fill this in for me.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/73WVF39

The main thinking behind the project is to tackle the common occurrence of overcrowding on trains due to peoples luggage not fitting in the provided racks and having to be left in aisles instead, blocking the paths of both passengers and staff. This can also be a security issue as peoples bags are not in their eyesight.

My initial idea is to produce a modular series of pieces of luggage, which can be connected together, which will in turn allow the user to predetermine how much luggage they need to take with them on a journey depending on how long they are going for and what they are required to transport. This system would allow the user to leave behind or collapse, unrequired pieces of the modular set to help save space on transport links, but also plan ahead to take extra space with them for items that could be picked up whilst travelling or once they arrive at their destination.

The main target market for the project is students with a possibility of the end product being something that could be supplied at a subsidised price when purchasing a rail card. The idea could also be translated towards air travel and how much fuel is wasted due to excess weight in peoples bags when they travel having packed unnecessary items.

Also any feedback regarding your opinion on the idea with be a lot of help.

Thank you in advance for any responses and survey answers.

Kind Regards,

William Smithson
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
Hello William :)

Welcome to the Forums! I have filled in the survey and I hope that helps. Hopefully, others will do the same. Good luck with your project!

If I have any thoughts to contribute which weren't covered by the survey, I'll let you know on here.

tsr
 

daikilo

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,623
I filled in the survey with my views which are mainly based on short-haul air and rail travel. In my opinion, air is probably more constraining than train for short breaks, but does offer the option of hold baggage when larger dimensions or a second case is required.

If I were doing this survey I would have asked a question about security of baggage such as "would you accept to hand over your excess baggage to a company specialised in such transport". When travelling by air I hand mine over to the airline.
 

LCC106

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2011
Messages
1,490
Hi William. I've completed the survey - let's hope others will too. Are you also posting this on air forums? If not, the answers could be skewed to rail travel. Good luck with the project.
 

will9921

New Member
Joined
12 Feb 2013
Messages
3
Hi William. I've completed the survey - let's hope others will too. Are you also posting this on air forums? If not, the answers could be skewed to rail travel. Good luck with the project.

Thanks to all for responses to both my survey and this thread, LCC106 may I ask which forums you are referring to by the 'AIR forums' if you could provide a link this would be splendid as I didnt get very far on google.

Thanks in advance
William Smithson
 

LCC106

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2011
Messages
1,490
I don't know any air related forums, just thought if you were looking at luggage for "trains and aeroplanes" the survey would be well served to be answered from people with interests in (either or) both areas.

That said, I recall from my Management Research Report that the lecturer was all for critically evaluating research. So if you haven't distributed the survey on an air forum, it may be a good basis for critical evaluation.

Not sure I'm making sense, may be one to discuss with your lecturer ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top