• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Problems with ticket acceptance when using smartcard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
31 Dec 2019
Messages
995
Location
uk
I'm sure I can't be the first person to have had such a problem whereby I have a ticket (in this case an annual season ticket) on a Key Smartcard, yet keep having arguments with bus drivers who refuse to accept that there is a train ticket on the card whenever ticket acceptance is in place. This is despite being in an area where the local bus operator uses Key Smartcards including KeyGo themselves.

Aside from the obvious of using a paper season ticket (not possible in my case), what options are available to win such arguments? Or is this a case of pay up and claim back via the TOC? This is particularly pertient since train companies such as GTR are now relying on ticket acceptance in lieu of operating replacement buses during line closures.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

800Travel

Member
Joined
3 Nov 2023
Messages
658
Location
UK
I'm sure I can't be the first person to have had such a problem whereby I have a ticket (in this case an annual season ticket) on a Key Smartcard, yet keep having arguments with bus drivers who refuse to accept that there is a train ticket on the card whenever ticket acceptance is in place. This is despite being in an area where the local bus operator uses Key Smartcards including KeyGo themselves.

Aside from the obvious of using a paper season ticket (not possible in my case), what options are available to win such arguments? Or is this a case of pay up and claim back via the TOC? This is particularly pertient since train companies such as GTR are now relying on ticket acceptance in lieu of operating replacement buses during line closures.
Apologies, I don't know the answer but if I was in your situation I'd show a confirmation email that showed my ticket purchase and the stations it was valid between. Is this something you have tried, did they not allow that?
 

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Joined
21 Oct 2009
Messages
3,905
I don't know why bus drivers have an issue. The bus company gets a flat rate per hour while ticket acceptance is in place, regardless of how many passengers they carry. In any case, how would a bus driver know a paper ticket is valid anyway?
But this is an inherent problem with smart tickets and Oystercards and contactless payments - you cannot actually see what ticket you've got or whether you've paid
 
Joined
21 May 2014
Messages
980
Apologies, I don't know the answer but if I was in your situation I'd show a confirmation email that showed my ticket purchase and the stations it was valid between. Is this something you have tried, did they not allow that?

There are apps that can read ITSO smartcards provided your phone has an NFC scanner, but the information shown isn't exactly "friendly" - I doubt it would win you any arguments with a bus driver.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top