• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Print size on (physical) Advance Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2014
Messages
6,289
Location
Wallsend or somewhere on the ECML
Hasn't been for donkey's years now. I think GNER was the last holdout? Well, Eurostar I think might but only for their own services and only in limited circumstances as I've had them issue me with that style of ticket when I was using tickets bought through DB (where you had to go through a manual gate).
I miss those ATB tickets but don't miss moving the printer around.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
Though considering that CCST is a set size using less of the available space is a waste itself as you're not saving paper!

I suppose it is in the sense that you’re no longer having to print a separate reservation coupon.

Presumably it has to be a standard size, hence needing to be that small in order to accommodate combinations of long station names.
 

AngusH

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2012
Messages
599
Presumably this comes from a combination of wanting to use less paper, and the expectation that e tickets will increasingly be used in the future.

Definitely agree. CCST are a format on the way out...
 

Benjwri

Established Member
Joined
16 Jan 2022
Messages
3,328
Location
London
I’ve just seen another GWR issued CCST with reservation on the main ticket, which was significantly larger, with the text being the normal size seen on other tickets. This does suggest the one at the top of the thread is a mistake. I forgot to get a photo of it unfortunately.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,126
Location
Redcar
I miss those ATB tickets but don't miss moving the printer around.
Ha! I'm sure, they must have been bulky things!
I suppose it is in the sense that you’re no longer having to print a separate reservation coupon.

Presumably it has to be a standard size, hence needing to be that small in order to accommodate combinations of long station names.
Sure but that change was made a decade ago (and welcome!), this suddenly tiny font is a new a thing.
 

Adam Williams

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2018
Messages
3,611
Location
Warks
Avanti TVMs have, within the last two weeks or so, begun printing tickets in tiny print as shown here. I suspect it's just a bug - if so, how hasn't it been fixed yet, and if not, what on earth are they playing at?
I think it's been going on slightly longer than this.

I printed a ticket at Rugby in late March and it was similarly unreadable
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
Sure but that change was made a decade ago (and welcome!), this suddenly tiny font is a new a thing.

In which case agreed. I had gathered from the OP that the small font was a result of the two being combined.
 

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,474
Location
London
Ha! I'm sure, they must have been bulky things!
Veering off-topic here, but if memory serves didn't GNER (as was) have desktop ATB printers and Swecoin CCST ones, whereas MML had large freestanding ATB printers and Russet CCST printers?
 

Adam Williams

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2018
Messages
3,611
Location
Warks
Avanti said:
It's a bug which will be rectified shortly, further tests are planned for later today so hopefully this will be back to normal size sooner rather than later
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,825
didn't GNER (as was) have desktop ATB printers and Swecoin CCST ones
Swecoin printers, yes, but the ATB printers were enormous things that sat under the desk. Apart from the mechanism they needed to be big to provide space for the ticket stock.
 

kkong

Member
Joined
8 Sep 2008
Messages
1,171
Presumably this comes from a combination of wanting to use less paper, and the expectation that e tickets will increasingly be used in the future.

The details of what they were trying to achieve with this new CCST printing specification are published here.

Including this, which is amusing considering the example ticket posted by the OP.

CCST.png
 

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,277
Avanti TVMs have, within the last two weeks or so, begun printing tickets in tiny print as shown here. I suspect it's just a bug - if so, how hasn't it been fixed yet, and if not, what on earth are they playing at?
I just remembered that I collected these tickets at Euston rather than Paddington, so that could be it!
 

P Binnersley

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2018
Messages
533
I picked up a super-off peak return from Coventry (Avanti) last week and the printing was equally small (no seat reservations).
 

alistairlees

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2016
Messages
4,416
I just remembered that I collected these tickets at Euston rather than Paddington, so that could be it!
Indeed. It is an error on Avanti ticket machines. Basically a poor implementation of the latest standards update.
 

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2017
Messages
2,959
I picked up a super-off peak return from Coventry (Avanti) last week and the printing was equally small (no seat reservations).

Indeed. It is an error on Avanti ticket machines. Basically a poor implementation of the latest standards update.


I am left just a little bewildered as to how this wasn't picked up before it was rolled out to their TVMs. (I do appreciate software is complicated etc, but still!)
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
Indeed. It is an error on Avanti ticket machines. Basically a poor implementation of the latest standards update.
That'll be why it's been almost exclusively Crewe, Stafford, Rugby and Euston tickets that have been in tiny font
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,785
Location
UK
I am left just a little bewildered as to how this wasn't picked up before it was rolled out to their TVMs. (I do appreciate software is complicated etc, but still!)
Clearly they didn't test it properly, or thought it wasn't a sufficiently important bug to stop the software release being rolled out. Still not a professional look - then again, little about the new Avanti TVMs is (e.g. they downsized the number of them at each station far too aggressively, to the point that major stations with a million passengers a year only have 2 TVMs!).

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

EDIT: It looks like Avanti have now fixed the bug. Only took them 3 weeks or so...
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top