• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston to Keighley via Lancaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

breadfan

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2013
Messages
235
Location
Oop north
On Tuesday 4th August my partner and I travelled on the 1004 from Preston to Carnforth then picked up the 1107 off Carnforth to Keighley. We came back the same route starting with the 1707 from Keighley.

Purchasing the tickets was a bit awkward at Preston, came to about £45 with a two-together card. We were advised to travel via Hebden Bridge. That route would take longer and require a walk across the centre of Bradford.

I've had a dabble since I got home and I think splitting the tickets at Lancaster would save about £6. Is there a better ticket to get for future journeys (I will probably be taking our 10-year-old soon using our F+F railcard).

Seems a bit daft to me that the quickest and easiest route is so expensive.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,386
Location
Yorks
I travel quite often between Leeds and Lancaster via that route and I've never found a split to get that bit cheaper.

I suspect the reason a ticket via Blackburn is cheaper might be the possibility that you could be expected to use one of Mr Branson's special InterCity trains between Preston and Lancaster.
 

crehld

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2014
Messages
1,994
Location
Norfolk
Actually the any permitted fares is set by TPE, which explains the price!

For future reference there are advance fares between Preston and Hellifield. Adding a Hellifield to Keighley anytime day return to this cuts the cost quite considerably, if you're willing to be tied to specific trains that is.
 
Last edited:

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
Sorry, rubbish internet here, but what about Hebden Br and the 500 bus?
 

lejog

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2015
Messages
1,323
Sorry, rubbish internet here, but what about Hebden Br and the 500 bus?

The train fare for Preston to Colne would be cheaper and the 25 bus to Keighley half hourly rather than the hourly 500, with the same £4 KDay fare. A less convenient interchange than Hebden though (and a Pacer rather than a 158). Nelson would provide a better interchange with 25 bus but the KDay isn't valid from there.

Can't beat the £6 bus fare though!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top