Its my understanding that every new railway needed an act of parliament till fairly recently or maybe its still done.
But I am interested in what happened pre grouping with a myriad of small railways, joint committes etc
I assume the bill would have been introduced into one of the 2 houses and subject to scrutiny before passing to the other house, then receiving royal assent
Did these bills have committee stages? Who could lobby MPs or peers and did they. Were the bills substantially changed by the houses of Parliament?
Were any bills thrown out? Were any lost by not being completed before a parliamentary year?
Were the bills largely copied from existing acts or was each one drafted from scratch? Who wrote them?
And what did this process cost? I assume the railways got a fat bill for all this.
Lets make this a general discussion on pre grouping railway acts
But I am interested in what happened pre grouping with a myriad of small railways, joint committes etc
I assume the bill would have been introduced into one of the 2 houses and subject to scrutiny before passing to the other house, then receiving royal assent
Did these bills have committee stages? Who could lobby MPs or peers and did they. Were the bills substantially changed by the houses of Parliament?
Were any bills thrown out? Were any lost by not being completed before a parliamentary year?
Were the bills largely copied from existing acts or was each one drafted from scratch? Who wrote them?
And what did this process cost? I assume the railways got a fat bill for all this.
Lets make this a general discussion on pre grouping railway acts