• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pre-employment medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

throwaway1989

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2023
Messages
18
Location
Yorkshire
Hi, I wonder if anyone has had any experience with this.
I had a medical and everything seemed to be fine except my blood pressure. I was asked to see my GP and do some more readings. When I did this they're still high so I'm having to do a week's worth of readings. Is this likely to fail my medical and I'll be withdrawn from consideration from the role? It's a safety critical role but I've never had any real medical issues in the past and this is the first I've known of any high blood pressure problems!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSEWonderer

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2020
Messages
2,909
Location
London

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

 
Last edited:

Muse29

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2011
Messages
44
I imagine you were just nervous. My BP was sky high at the medical (177/110) because they'd just spent over half an hour grilling me on my medical past before taking it. I went to the GP and got not only an acceptable reading but did a 24 halter which measures BP every 20 minutes. It averaged out at 128/80.

Unfortunately it's one of those things where the more you worry, the more likely it is to be high. You'll be grand I'm sure.
 

Aviator88

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2012
Messages
323
Hi, I wonder if anyone has had any experience with this.
I had a medical and everything seemed to be fine except my blood pressure. I was asked to see my GP and do some more readings. When I did this they're still high so I'm having to do a week's worth of readings. Is this likely to fail my medical and I'll be withdrawn from consideration from the role? It's a safety critical role but I've never had any real medical issues in the past and this is the first I've known of any high blood pressure problems!

A (large) glass of beetroot juice 2-3 hours prior to a medical will drop both systolic and diastolic pressure by 10-20 mmHg. This is to help combat known 'white coat hypertension' (nerves) only, and isn't a substitute for treating what can be a serious and damaging medical problem.
 

throwaway1989

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2023
Messages
18
Location
Yorkshire
Just to update I've now passed my medical and starting in May! My TOC were quite understanding about the situation throughout which hopefully bodes well for the future.

White coat hypertension I believe but still going to monitor it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top