• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Praise for a train manager on a delayed BHM>BMT Crosscountry,but I could never write!

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaltoast

Member
Joined
19 May 2008
Messages
132
To expand on the cryptic subject line, I found myself on an absolutely jam-packed shoulder-to-shoulder Crosscountry train from Birmingham to Bournemouth, which had been collecting "refugees" from other abandoned services. There had been a signalling power failure around the Oxford/Didcot area apparently.
As we waited, and waited, and waited, I overheard other passengers mentioning that this was quite a regular feature of the line recently.

Of course, it makes XC look bad - it's not their fault, but what happened next was totally unexpected.

Just after he had made yet another apology as we ground to another halt, he went off on one - very professionally, but you could hear the frustration in his voice. I didn't get every single word because some stupid woman started talking, but the gist was:

"Ladies and gentlemen, I think it's time those responsible for the railways started taking some responsibility". At which point, people started paying attention! He then went on to name a couple of ministers to write to, and also how to contact your local MP!

Brilliant! I heard a small ripple of applause from the next carriage. I wanted to shake that man's hand, but I never got to meet him.

I also want to write to XC and praise him for
A: Being able to speak legibly
B: Having some balls!

But, of course, I can almost guarantee expressing an opinion would get him into trouble, so for now he remains an unsung hero of the network!

(BTW, it wasn't all bad either; I was into refund territory and so were the 8 sardines around me who didn't know about refund-claiming and were very grateful!)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,894
Location
South Wales
Good, nice to see that there are good train managers then, i have ha da lot of good 1's when i have travelled on First Great western, Ihave once split my journey at Swindon, but the train i was on was delayed by 45 minutes at the severn tunnel and i missed my connection, but train manager said to stay on the train.
 

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
1,975
There are some really really good train managers out there, and its nice to hear someone praising them for a change rather than slagging off. Unfortunately there are the few train managers out there that go out of their way to make everyones lives hell. There are some train managers that purposely go out of their way to make their trains late. It doesn't take much for the train manager to make a simple announcement as anthony said, to advise people to stay on if they have missed connections, more often than not we get lumbered with punters who have missed connections which they could have caught down the road in Cardiff had the train manager bothered to inform them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top