• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Power Sockets on trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawallace

Member
Joined
20 Nov 2006
Messages
296
GOing out for a trip next week and wondered which of these trains will have Power Scokets for my lapop in Standard Class?

Cross Country - 170's
Cross Country - 220 / 221's
East Coast - HST' s / Mk4's?

Are they at every seat or just some?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai.

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2008
Messages
1,210
Location
Wales
I can't remember if it was my eyes playing tricks on me, but last time I went on a XC 170 I saw someone with their laptop plugged in by the door?

I'm not 100% though.
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
I can't remember if it was my eyes playing tricks on me, but last time I went on a XC 170 I saw someone with their laptop plugged in by the door?

I'm not 100% though.

There are sockets by the doors on turbostars, but they're not supposed to be used by passengers.
 

Dai.

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2008
Messages
1,210
Location
Wales
There are sockets by the doors on turbostars, but they're not supposed to be used by passengers.

Ah. I did wonder, the one time I saw them in use it did look a bit Health and Safety unsuitable, as the user was sat directly in front of the door, I don't remember seeing any signs though.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
The East Coast trains will, as will voyagers (although not at every seat) and the 170s won't
 

91101

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2007
Messages
439
Voyagers are at every seat, well they certainly were Prior to Arriva reconfiguring them!
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
There is 1 socket per 2 seats, underneath the window, on Voyagers
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
Sorry, the other day I was looking at VTs website and it said their 221s had them only at table seats
 

Simon Poole

Member
Joined
21 Apr 2010
Messages
549
Location
Brereton, Rugeley, Staffordshire
I know London Midland Class 350 has an hidden socket, i was on my laptop heading to Crewe from Rugeley and when the guard came out to check my ticket he told me that there was an power socket behind my seat!

Chiltern 168's have Power sockets as well

but i never seen power sockets on Class 170's and on the Voyagers you can get away with charging an camcorder while on the train!
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
People may plug their devices in by the door on a 170 but it'll be totally useless as nothing comes out of them when running and/or not on depot. Someone yesterday complained to me that the plugs weren't working by the door and I quickly explained they ate not for passengers and work fine.
 

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2007
Messages
2,154
Location
SWR Metals
Had this recent...some brain dead half-wit plugged in his mobile phone right outside the cab in the socket which is not for public use and was sitting on the seat on the other side...I was relieved at Basingstoke having brought the train from Southampton and luckily for him just trod on his power wire...shame I didn't trip on it in a way then perhaps he may have used a bit of common sense in future.
 

d1015fan

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2010
Messages
233
Location
Newton Abbot
All XC 220 and 221 have at seat sockets. I think virgin only like having them at tables and reconfirgured their sets so they are like the pendolinos where they are at tables only. Advisable not to use the other sockets as some are catering sockets and can kick out a higher voltage and damage mobile phone batteries. 395 sockets seem to be well hidden under the seats and have to go looking for it
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
People may plug their devices in by the door on a 170 but it'll be totally useless as nothing comes out of them when running and/or not on depot. Someone yesterday complained to me that the plugs weren't working by the door and I quickly explained they ate not for passengers and work fine.

Thats interesting because class 171s which i thought were basically the same have sockets in first class and the odd socket throughout standard is definantly live on the move.
 

pdq

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2010
Messages
901
Haven't the TPE 170s got sockets to match the 185s?
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
Well, I was only answering the question in relation to XC 170s as the OP asked, which do have power points in first class. There may well be little differences between the different batches ordered for whichever TOCs at the time of building.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top