Bletchleyite
Veteran Member
I couldn’t see the ballroom space being used unless you move the toilet as well with first class converted to standard and bike space created somehow. Alternatively Northern could strictly impose the 2 bikes per train policy which wouldn’t be popular.
Not totally against 185s, more realistic suggestion than 802s but as I say Northern / whichever entity by post TRU will probably have different new stock
Surely having the wheelchair area close to the accessible toilet is a good idea?
It is, the post was in response to this comment
If you move the bikes into the ballroom area then you’d have to move the wheelchair spaces and then the wheelchair accessible toilet
When I first suggested I had it in my mind that the wheelchair spaces and the toilet were the other way round. Now I've looked at a seating plan that wouldn't make much sense, it would be easier to provide 2 more bike spaces in the present first class catering store.
Every few years there's a madcap plan on here about reconfiguring the 185s layout. It isn't going to happen anytime soon.
(We're going a bit off-topic I know, but...)
Does putting potential new bikes at the current First Class end mean we'd have two separate bike storage areas? Would it be better to have just the one? Do we need the large luggage racks as well?
In your opinion. It's certainly not perfect, but it's probably the simplest compromise to meet all the requirements of PRM rules. If it was that unpopular don't you think TPE would have reconfigured them during the refurbishment?
I don't think TPE reconfigured them due to the cost of moving the accessible toilet. I don't agree it is a simple compromise to meet anything, though, it's cack handed and maroons a toilet and a section of Standard the wrong side of First Class. Simply reversing the layout of that vehicle with the first class in two compartments either side of the end door and the wheelchair facilities at the inner end would have by far been better, which is how most 2 and 3-car DMUs apart from those ones do it. It's a unique layout, which says a lot to me, namely that one specific designer got it wrong (see also the Class 777
).With regard to sending them to Northern services without first class, though, just converting that to Standard undoes the issue as nothing is then marooned the wrong side of a first class that doesn't exist.
Another thing they might want to consider is removing the engine from the middle vehicle, the excess power wouldn't be needed if used on Northern routes, and maintenance costs would be reduced. The units already have crossfeed for the "2 out of 3" software driven engine use reduction.