Obviously the real answer is probably that diesels will get derogations for many years, but if not how would you rescue a failed train, a train with flat/failed batteries, or wires down stranded train?
I'm assuming batteries and hydrogen would have the same issues as for freight - not enough power/range in a small enough volume/weight limit, or will there have to be some monster three or four bogied battery or hydrogen locos?
I assume a similar requirement faces engineering trains.
On a similar point how big is a fast charger, a cable reel, and a battery pack big enough to put a full charge in a train? I’m thinking partly for a train that has run out of juice, but mainly if a train got to Uckfield (for example) and found the charger was knackered. Could you have the above on a lorry to send out?
I'm assuming batteries and hydrogen would have the same issues as for freight - not enough power/range in a small enough volume/weight limit, or will there have to be some monster three or four bogied battery or hydrogen locos?
I assume a similar requirement faces engineering trains.
On a similar point how big is a fast charger, a cable reel, and a battery pack big enough to put a full charge in a train? I’m thinking partly for a train that has run out of juice, but mainly if a train got to Uckfield (for example) and found the charger was knackered. Could you have the above on a lorry to send out?