• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible to claim Delay Repay for first part of broken journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKB

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2008
Messages
666
I'm travelling from Liverpool to Crewe now, where I'm staying in a hotel over night, and continuing on to Nuneaton tomorrow. This is covered by the return portion of a Nuneaton-Liverpool First Open Return. Can I get Delay Repay for the 32-minute delay into Crewe?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,529
Location
Yorkshire
I think yes if you explain... But see what happens tomorrow first...
 

MKB

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2008
Messages
666
It was a 34-minute delay (and lost sleep time) in the end. Will try to claim and report back. If it is covered, it will be interesting to see how the fare for the NUN-CRE portion is calculated. I'd expect it to be pro-rated by mileage.

What was odd was the cause of our delay. We (on the 22:34 LIV-CRE) stopped just before Liverpool South Parkway, because there was a incident being attended to on platform 1 on the 22:30 Liverpool to York, and we were told we had gone too far to be able to re-route to go through the clear platform 2. I was surprised it wasn't possible for the driver to get permission to reverse direction back across the points and then go forward again.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
I'm travelling from Liverpool to Crewe now, where I'm staying in a hotel over night, and continuing on to Nuneaton tomorrow. This is covered by the return portion of a Nuneaton-Liverpool First Open Return. Can I get Delay Repay for the 32-minute delay into Crewe?
Not quite the same thing but I was delayed on a train journey that connected into an overnight ferry on a SailRail ticket. I did make the ferry (but only by taking a taxi), so my overall journey wasn't delayed and I arrived on time. EMT did pay compensation of 50% of the total ticket value due to their delay.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was surprised it wasn't possible for the driver to get permission to reverse direction back across the points and then go forward again.
I suspect that in an intensely worked section of track like that, the route setting is all automatic and a reversing move like that isn't programmed in. Also, the section in rear of your train may already have been occupied meaning that it couldn't be set manually.
 
Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,529
Location
Yorkshire
Compensation is available for the journey.

If using a combination of tickets, it may be advantageous to claim compensation on all of them as one journey, or it may be advantageous to claim for just one or some of them. For examples, see my York-Weymouth scenario.

If making multiple journeys with a single or return ticket, I would advise waiting until all journeys are complete before submitting a claim. If you were, for example, delayed by 30+ minutes into Nuneaton, then I'd explain what you did but the calculation would, I am sure, simply be 50% of the cost of your ticket. If you were delayed by 60+ mins into Nuneaton, then it becomes a bit trickier! On-time into Nuneaton and I'd expect them to pro-rata the compensation as far as Crewe.

There might be an argument to say that your journey was Liverpool to Nuneaton, and you happened to break it at Crewe, but that may not affect the fact you were on time into Nuneaton, and therefore the journey wasn't delayed. I am not making that argument but I am just pointing out it could be made...

On the other hand, it is permitted to finish short on a ticket, so if your journey was to Crewe only, then that argument could be made that your journey was Liverpool - Crewe. Not applicable in your case of course as you are breaking and resuming the journey.

I also wouldn't advise claiming that you were starting/finishing short on a 'loophole' ticket e.g. the infamous Baldock to North Sheen via Elgin, or any other anomalous ticket, for various reasons. Again, not applicable in this particular case.
 

cjp

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2012
Messages
1,059
Location
In front of a computer
I also wouldn't advise claiming that you were starting/finishing short on a 'loophole' ticket e.g. the infamous Baldock to North Sheen via Elgin, or any other anomalous ticket, for various reasons. Again, not applicable in this particular case.

er , <cough>, correction

the useful Baldock to North Sheen via Elgin:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top