Is there space to get from STP to the West Coast (there may already be a link, not sure?).
I think there is a link through Camden Road, but I don't think it's suitable for anything more than occasional use and I doubt there's room to do anything about it.
I got the feeling it was all about Eurostar and giving Eurostar what they wanted at the detriment to the MML, which was effectively turfed out of it's home and stuck in a side shed.
Yup. Ruining the Midland's London terminus for the benefit of a nugatory 20 minute speed increase on an upstart white elephant that already had a London terminus, for no better reason than that nobody was able to ignore stupid comments in the media about how "backwards" and "unfit for the 21st century" the existing setup was. (Or refute them, but people who use those idiotic and meaningless phrases to argue for anything are best ignored.)
I watched the documentary about it; I see how emotional the architect got.
He only wanted to join the Masons...
The trouble with architects is not so much that their ideas about what's good and what isn't are totally whacked, but that in contrast to many professions which share that characteristic their whacked ideas are played out in public on a large scale for all to see, so it actually matters. I don't care how many architectural awards something wins; if it's rubbish it's still rubbish, and architects are not competent to judge.
So where would you put it?
I wouldn't. I'd have left it at Waterloo. Or if it absolutely had to go somewhere else, then underground like the original idea.
And definitely
not somewhere that causes the Midland platforms to be moved so far away from the Underground station that you practically need an Aldwychesque shuttle built to join them up.
Oh, and the work required if you had platforms outside the main shed at the south end would again cause problems with the fabric of the building, giving you the headache of dealing with English Heritage again.
Shame that wasn't enough of a headache to stop them chopping dirty great holes in the floor of the station. One of the good features of the Barlow roof was the elegant use of tension members under the floor to tie the bottoms of the arches together and avoid the difficulty of trying to absorb the lateral thrust via the foundations. Now they've replaced an elegant engineering solution with a bodge based on brute force and ignorance, to enable them to get away with spoiling another aspect of the station as well.
Part of the Grade I listing means that views of the building have to be unobstructed from places like Primrose Hill.
What, and not have a great big petrol station canopy obscuring half of it?