• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

possible prosecution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtvikd

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2025
Messages
6
Location
Cheam
Hi!
So essentially, I didn’t have a ticket whilst travelling on the SouthWestern Railway, and an officer stopped me. I explained to her the truth that I didn’t have one, and she said that I could get prosecuted. She took a photo of my railcard, but then, after speaking some more, she told me to just tap my bank card on the reader and to tap out at Egham when I got off. She didn’t give me any receipt or anything and didn’t ask for my address, so I’m not sure if she just charged me a fare and let it slide after we spoke. After doing a bit of googling, I believe they usually either fill out an MG11 or give you a receipt or at least somewhat acknowledge that they are prosecuting you, and I am confused because none of these things happened. However, the main issue that I am concerned with is that I have also found out that they can get your information from your railcard. Whilst I do realise that I can just wait to see if they mail me with a letter or not, my railcard will most likely come up with my old address as I moved house only 3 days ago, so I worry if they do mail me anything I won’t receive it. Should I phone them and ask if anything was reported or to send any corresponding to my new address, or did she let me off this time, and I am worrying over nothing? I am really confused as to what happened and distressed because of the address thing so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,793
Where were you going from an to?

What's the normal fare for that journey?

Has your bank card been charged, and if so how much?
 

wtvikd

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2025
Messages
6
Location
Cheam
Where were you going from an to?

What's the normal fare for that journey?

Has your bank card been charged, and if so how much?
I was going from Cheam to Egham.
My normal fare is £9.70 with my (valid) railcard or £13.00 when I travel before 10.
Usually they do not charge that fast, it will appear tomorrow on my bank. I should probably mention this happened today (11/3/25)
 
Last edited:

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,306

wtvikd

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2025
Messages
6
Location
Cheam
You've got time to wait for this. If the railway do want to take it further, then typically they will write to you and want a reply within 14 or 21 days.

Although it's expensive, you might want to consider setting up postal redirection from your old address - see https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/redirection
To be quite frank, I am a brokeeee student so I really do not want to redirect my mail. Should I just call them and ask about the address or can I somehow update the address associated with my railcard?
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,528
Location
LBK
I wouldn’t draw any attention to yourself as it seems possible the RPI didn’t report you.
 

wtvikd

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2025
Messages
6
Location
Cheam
I wouldn’t draw any attention to yourself as it seems possible the RPI didn’t report you.
Thank you. I do agree, however at what point should it become a concern? Because again, the main thing I am worrying about is being sent a letter and not receiving and replying back in time and the matter being even further escalated as a result.
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,306
To be quite frank, I am a brokeeee student so I really do not want to redirect my mail.
Depending who is at the old address, could you ask them to pass the post on to you? Or take round a dozen or so envelopes with your new address and the right postage on them so that anythingn for you could be popped back in the post to you?

I do think that there's a good chance (but absolutely no certainty) that the officer on the train has done you a favour and let you off. Keep an eye out for whether the charge shows up on your bank account.
 

wtvikd

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2025
Messages
6
Location
Cheam
Depending who is at the old address, could you ask them to pass the post on to you? Or take round a dozen or so envelopes with your new address and the right postage on them so that anythingn for you could be popped back in the post to you?

I do think that there's a good chance (but absolutely no certainty) that the officer on the train has done you a favour and let you off. Keep an eye out for whether the charge shows up on your bank account.
That is a good idea, I don’t live far from the old place so I may leave a note asking for them to please inform me if anything gets delivered to them. Thank you!!!
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Welcome to the forum!

It's possible that the inspector has done you a favour here.

Cheam to Egham is valid using contactless. In this case you tapped your contactless card on the inspectors terminal (which is what happens during a ticket inspection if you've paid using contactless). The inspector cannot tell if you've touched in or not but what happens is a reconciliation in the back-office overnight. If your card was touched in before the revenue inspection then the inspection passes. If the card hasn't been touched in before the revenue inspection then the inspection is failed and you get charged a maximum fare (note not a Penalty Fare). Two failed inspections witht he same card means it gets blocked and in invalid for further travel. Clearly, based on what you've told us you failed a revenue inspection and will be charged a maximum fare.

Scanning your railcard does give SWR access to your account details, and they probably will check your ticket purchase history, but will then find anything untoward?

- By defenition, your account won't show occasions where you haven't purchased a ticket
- Have all your previous tickets been valid (thinking in particular about restriction times, railcards etc.
- Have you short fared or 'doughnutted'? This can be discovered from a check of an online account of compared to ticket scans

If there are any irregularities then you can expect them to contact you. If not, there probably isn't much to worry about.

I would update the address on your railcard and online ticket purchasing accounts. You might want to make arrangements to access post sent to your old address, just in case. If you do receive any contact from SWR then post a redacted copy in this thread before replying to them so we can advise an appropriate way forward.
 

wtvikd

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2025
Messages
6
Location
Cheam
Update! I was charged £16.30 and on the tfl oyster/contactless website it says it was a “failed revenue inspection to egham” charge. Not sure if this is a good thing or what this means, but I was charged on my bank.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,912
Location
0036
Update! I was charged £16.30 and on the tfl oyster/contactless website it says it was a “failed revenue inspection to egham” charge. Not sure if this is a good thing or what this means, but I was charged on my bank.
That is likely to be the end of the matter and you have been essentially let off.

It is essential that you hold a valid a ticket for your future travels.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top