• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible New Avanti Seat Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,851
No, I don't believe they are doing that - in particular I'm sure I recall it being said that they aren't rearranging the seating layout because moving the reservation displays is too much of a faff.
So the luggage racks will continue to get a window view while the punters get views of plastic panelling.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wapps

Member
Joined
1 Jul 2020
Messages
116
Location
London
No, I don't believe they are doing that - in particular I'm sure I recall it being said that they aren't rearranging the seating layout because moving the reservation displays is too much of a faff.
Ok. I think I was referring to this from AWC:

“The overhaul will focus on onboard facilities, with passengers benefitting from more comfortable seating, improvements to the shop, revamped toilets, better lighting, new interiors, and the installation of at-seat chargers and improved Wi-Fi throughout. Performance will also be improved through new maintenance programmes.”

Given that the 390s are just over half way through their asset life, this is the moment to renew them properly. I am onboard (pardon the pun) putting in the latest comfy seats. I just hope that AWC goes a bit further and makes them quality all round. This is the UK’s premier route after all (ex. HS1). Virgin really let the rolling stock go in last 5 years of their franchise, which is why I was happy they lost it - they didn’t deserve it anymore.
 

Energy

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2018
Messages
5,135
Virgin really let the rolling stock go in last 5 years of their franchise, which is why I was happy they lost it - they didn’t deserve it anymore.
To be fair, in the last 5 years I don't think Virgin knew how long they would still be operating after the 2012 thing.
 

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,497
Location
Northern England
I wonder what the "revamped toilets" means?
Are they going to get rid of that recording beginning "Oh hi there, I'm the toilet! I just wanted to ask if you'd mind not flushing....."?

I think it it's one of the most divisive things on the modern railway - I've seen opinions ranging from a pointless intrusion to a nice amusing touch, depending on disposition...
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,851
I wonder what the "revamped toilets" means?
Are they going to get rid of that recording beginning "Oh hi there, I'm the toilet! I just wanted to ask if you'd mind not flushing....."?

I think it it's one of the most divisive things on the modern railway - I've seen opinions ranging from a pointless intrusion to a nice amusing touch, depending on disposition...
They could give it a proper railway twist: "Hi, I'm the talking toilet. Are you using the no. 1 end or the no. 2 end on this visit?"
 

Energy

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2018
Messages
5,135
Meh. They let it go.
To be fair the trains are nearly 20 years old and were in need of a refurb.
They could give it a proper railway twist: "Hi, I'm the talking toilet. Are you using the no. 1 end or the no. 2 end on this visit?"
Railway style is to charge 50p to use them like at the big stations...
 

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,497
Location
Northern England
I think they're in amazing condition for their age. Compare them to the threadbare seats in the 350/1s for instance.
Or indeed the dirt and grime embedded in the freshly fitted 323 seat covers... I went on one when it was only about a week out of Wolverton and they were already filthy.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,883
Location
Cambridge
I think they're in amazing condition for their age. Compare them to the threadbare seats in the 350/1s for instance.
I concur
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,851
I think they're in amazing condition for their age. Compare them to the threadbare seats in the 350/1s for instance.
Didn't Virgin change the seat covers, though? (in the same style as the originals, so you wouldn't notice)
 

Energy

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2018
Messages
5,135
I think they're in amazing condition for their age. Compare them to the threadbare seats in the 350/1s for instance.
They have aged very well, for comparison look at XC's which despite the change in covers at some point are in bad condition.
 

Trackman

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
4,284
Location
Lewisham
To be fair, in the last 5 years I don't think Virgin knew how long they would still be operating after the 2012 thing.
I echo that sentiment.
Or indeed the dirt and grime embedded in the freshly fitted 323 seat covers... I went on one when it was only about a week out of Wolverton and they were already filthy.
I've seen moans about that on twitter.
I think they're in amazing condition for their age.
They are, you wouldn't think they are 20 years old.
 

supervc-10

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2012
Messages
763
They're definitely in need of some love, but having not had a full refurb in their 18 years in service, they're actually in decent shape IMO. I don't personally have any issues with the seats, apart from the lack of an armrest on the window seats.

Those new seats look good, but I do worry about the wings digging into shoulders. I'm 6'2, so would possibly be struggling. Which is a shame, as I live in Manchester and (in non-covid times) go down to London quite frequently.
 

Skie

Established Member
Joined
22 Dec 2008
Messages
1,239
My only niggle with them was the rattly plastic panelling (fixable with a bit of folded paper)
And the damnable plastic wall moulding that seemed perfectly designed to ensure your leg made a nice seal with the side of the train, so the heat from the floor heater just gets trapped and cooks one of your legs. Never really minded the lack of an arm-rest on that side as I'm tall enough to use the windowsill as one instead.
 

Trackman

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
4,284
Location
Lewisham
My only niggle with them was the rattly plastic panelling (fixable with a bit of folded paper)
It's not been so bad in recent years, it's a case of reporting it. Everyone assumes they know about it. Even complain to the TM!
I find a gentle tap solves the matter. The problem is finding it especially when the carriage if full.
 

Skie

Established Member
Joined
22 Dec 2008
Messages
1,239
Only works in the seats with a properly aligned window, though!
True! Thankfully our internal booking system lets us choose which seats to reserve, so it’s fairly easy to get a decent one ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top