Bletchleyite
Veteran Member
I know. And one day it will be full, and more capacity needed.
Will it, though? The full-service capacity will be massive.
To be honest, if that did happen, I'd be looking to build some street tramways.
I know. And one day it will be full, and more capacity needed.
Did you mean Finchley Road?there was a pre-war proposal to build tunnels to Edgware Road though, which became the Bakerloo line to Stanmore instead
No, Edgware Road. I think, one of the reasons it was rebuilt with as many platforms as it has now. Got as far as the route indicators having Aylesbury added, apparently.Did you mean Finchley Road?
They always did, they were timetabled to cross the junction simultaneouslyThe Met platforms at Baker Street are so curved, it's painfully slow. I would think sending as many Mets through as possible would be more efficient - especially now that those wide-ass A trains have gone and two S-s can pass one another on the curve!
I agree with this. Having lived most of my life outside London, but worked there for most of my career, I'd say it was a misconception that I arrived with but quickly discarded.
If I was a Londoner, I'd just junk the Circle Line entirely. I know that I quickly devised workarounds so that I didn't have to use it and I expect that a lot of Londoners do the same. I see the Circle Line as a sort of quarantine for country people travelling between the London Main Line stations, passing through without having to know anything about what's in between.
I’ve seen all the discussion here but I’m not quite sure what problem is actually trying to be solved here?
Not the case. If a Met was coming from the Baker St platforms headed into the core, a westbound service toward the Edgware Road-bound platforms would be held. And vice versa - on the curve, the A stock was too wide.They always did, they were timetabled to cross the junction simultaneously
For example, despite it being a longer route, paddington to seven sisters is calculated to be faster changing at Oxford Circus than changing at Kings Cross
It's busy across West London, many local journeys, and counter-commuting to Hammersmith - plus more usage since Wood Lane opened. And again, with the many developments there, TV Centre/Soho House and the buildings behind White City tube, the second JL side of Westfield, Imperial etc etc etc - it's busier than ever. Plus those platforms have the best tube access to Paddington Basin.How much demand does the Hammersmith branch actually get? I often get them from Paddington to Kings Cross and it never seems too busy - if the main aim is to simplify the map then making the circle back into an actual circle would surely be fine. For me, the main issue is just that these lines run so slowly (you always sit at Edgware Road for at least a minute), and with the lesser frequency than deep level it often just doesnt make sense to take. For example, despite it being a longer route, paddington to seven sisters is calculated to be faster changing at Oxford Circus than changing at Kings Cross
All I can make out is the map is somehow offensive.
Do you have a Working Timetable source for this? It's the first I've ever heard of it.Not the case. If a Met was coming from the Baker St platforms headed into the core, a westbound service toward the Edgware Road-bound platforms would be held. And vice versa - on the curve, the A stock was too wide.