• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Portsmouth - Weymouth service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2012
Messages
4,445
I see that there is a random Portsmouth - Weymouth and return service running today.




Is there any significance to these services? They’ve been arranged as a VSTP but I’m wondering why? Is it weather related and will we see more of them in the future? Is there any reason why they’re running as 1Kxx?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
I see that there is a random Portsmouth - Weymouth and return service running today.




Is there any significance to these services? They’ve been arranged as a VSTP but I’m wondering why? Is it weather related and will we see more of them in the future? Is there any reason why they’re running as 1Kxx?

I do remember one summer pre-Covid (not sure when, perhaps around 2015 or 2016) they arranged an additional Southampton-Bournemouth service on some summer Sundays, which was unadvertised. This was I believe to meet demand. It ran hourly if I remember right, so presumably required 2 extra units/diagrams.

I do note today, that presumably due to engineering works, there is only an hourly fast service down the SWML (leaving Waterloo on the hour). They don't appear to be diverted, but merely running at half the normal frequency. With a rare fine day in one of the wettest years on record so far, I can imagine the overcrowding is going to be immense - so I wonder whether they are planning a number of short-term additional services like this.

Looks like pretty swingeing reductions across the board today, in fact: Portsmouth Direct services terminating at Petersfield, and 2tph within 15 mins of each other at xx30 / xx45, even to Guildford.

With a combination of the weather and reduced timetables, it's obviously not a good day to travel on certain routes!

I'm sure that Saturday engineering works tended to be restricted to between October and around Easter in years past, and that the summer months tended to be mostly disruption-free, at least on Saturdays.
 
Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2012
Messages
4,445

You learn something new every day!

I do remember one summer pre-Covid (not sure when, perhaps around 2015 or 2016) they arranged an additional Southampton-Bournemouth service on some summer Sundays, which was unadvertised. This was I believe to meet demand. It ran hourly if I remember right, so presumably required 2 extra units/diagrams.

I do note today, that presumably due to engineering works, there is only an hourly fast service down the SWML (leaving Waterloo on the hour). They don't appear to be diverted, but merely running at half the normal frequency. With a rare fine day in one of the wettest years on record so far, I can imagine the overcrowding is going to be immense - so I wonder whether they are planning a number of short-term additional services like this.

Looks like pretty swingeing reductions across the board today, in fact: Portsmouth Direct services terminating at Petersfield, and 2tph within 15 mins of each other.

With a combination of the weather and reduced timetables, it's obviously not a good day to travel on certain routes!

I'm sure that Saturday engineering works tended to be restricted to between October and around Easter in years past, and that the summer months tended to be mostly disruption-free, at least on Saturdays.

I don’t think there’s engineering works on the mainline from what I can see, however aren’t ASLEF still on an overtime ban?

Nice to see some extra services though.
 

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
You learn something new every day!



I don’t think there’s engineering works on the mainline from what I can see, however aren’t ASLEF still on an overtime ban?

Nice to see some extra services though.

Ah, ok, sorry - my assumption was engineering work.

If it's industrial action, I'm much more in sympathy with the reduced service!
 

Big Jumby 74

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2022
Messages
2,244
Location
UK
Given the glorious weather today, perhaps number of people turning up wanting to head to Weymouth forced SWR's hand in to providing something additional?
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,687
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I don’t think there’s engineering works on the mainline from what I can see, however aren’t ASLEF still on an overtime ban?
Track renewal in Havant area, has closed Portsmouth Direct Line (sourhern end) and Coastway (western end).
 

Attachments

  • Warblington_NRworkers_1_.JPG
    Warblington_NRworkers_1_.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 64
  • Warblington_NRworkers_2.JPG
    Warblington_NRworkers_2.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 64
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top