• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Portsmouth to Brighton/L'hampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark001uk

Established Member
Joined
20 Aug 2010
Messages
2,387
Just a quick one, what is the Southern stock usually used on the Harbour to Brighton, and the Southsea to L'Hampton? I'm fairly sure it's 377s Brighton and 313s Littlehampton but I could be wrong?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
Just a quick one, what is the Southern stock usually used on the Harbour to Brighton, and the Southsea to L'Hampton? I'm fairly sure it's 377s Brighton and 313s Littlehampton but I could be wrong?

I'm fairly sure it's 313s on both services, 377s are used on the Southampton services
 

spark001uk

Established Member
Joined
20 Aug 2010
Messages
2,387
Hi yes confirmed by staff both are 313 "milk floats".
Actually why do they call them milk floats? Is it because of the whine of the old DC motors?
 
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
377
Brighton to Portsmouth Harbour and Southampton Central is 377

Brighton and Littlehampton to Southsea are 313s

The 313s almost exclusively operate West Worthing, Hove, Seaford, Bognor shuttles and Lewes however there is diagrams at weekends and late evening which are operated as DOO with 377s and OBS.
 

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2014
Messages
6,594
Location
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Brighton to Portsmouth Harbour and Southampton Central is 377

Brighton and Littlehampton to Southsea are 313s

The 313s almost exclusively operate West Worthing, Hove, Seaford, Bognor shuttles and Lewes however there is diagrams at weekends and late evening which are operated as DOO with 377s and OBS.

I have seen 313s working semi-fast Brighton - Portsmouth Harbour on Saturdays (3 units diagrammed I think)
 

spark001uk

Established Member
Joined
20 Aug 2010
Messages
2,387
OK thanks, I spent the day down there yesterday and it turned out there's an hourly Ports Hbr to Brighton, which were all 313s, or all the ones I observed anyway. Also an hourly Ports/SS LL to Littlehampton, also 313. The Southampton to Brighton and the Ports Hbr to Victoria were both 377s.
Naturally I chose to go Ports Hbr to Gatwick, then down the main to Brighton. I wasn't going to sit on a 313 for almost an hour and a half !
(I could've gone up to Havant or somewhere and picked up a Southampton to Brighton, but it wasn't a good connection)
 

spark001uk

Established Member
Joined
20 Aug 2010
Messages
2,387
How could you not savour over an hour's journey on a 313 !? Veteran sterling units ;)

In all seriousness, I hope you had a good day and got what you wanted. Shame the blue baby wasn't out...
Yes I did keep an eye out for it, be nice to see it in the original paint, despite the modern regulation doors!
Actually why do they call them milk floats, do you know? Is it the DC motor whine?
 

Nammer

Member
Joined
1 May 2016
Messages
179
Yes, in the ‘slam door’ days there were 1546 and 1646 PMH - Seaford through services around the late 90s
 

Nammer

Member
Joined
1 May 2016
Messages
179
I don’t recall any return through workings but there may have been? These through services were truncated to Brighton around c2003 when the 375s were introduced to the Coastway lines iirc
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
I don’t recall any return through workings but there may have been? These through services were truncated to Brighton around c2003 when the 375s were introduced to the Coastway lines iirc
ISTR there was a period when there were regular East-West workings (and vv!) but don't remember the detail. There were rather fewer trains in and out of Brighton back then...
 
Joined
9 Apr 2016
Messages
1,909
The 313s run majority of journeys on both of those routes. However i have noticed the late evening services on both of those routes seem to be mainly 377s though. Also it is fairly common for a 313 diagram to be replaced with a 377 (or occasionally vice versa).
 

sarahj

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2012
Messages
1,897
Location
Brighton
How could you not savour over an hour's journey on a 313 !? Veteran sterling units ;)

In all seriousness, I hope you had a good day and got what you wanted. Shame the blue baby wasn't out...

5 hours is the most I've done in one go. Needed the lav a bit after that.
Blue may not be coming back to us, but I have heard we are getting another 2 as they are withdrawn from the moorgates.
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I have seen references to something called "Big Blue" in some of the above posts.

Could somebody please explain what "Big Blue" is, bearing in mind anything specific to south of the mighty Thames is like a foreign country to me?
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
I have seen references to something called "Big Blue" in some of the above posts.

Could somebody please explain what "Big Blue" is, bearing in mind anything specific to south of the mighty Thames is like a foreign country to me?

It's the nickname of BR blue and grey liveried 313201. I understand it is still under repair at Lovers Walk.
 

LAX54

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2008
Messages
3,907
When I worked there, mainstay for the locals were HAPs and EPBs :)
 

moley

Member
Joined
12 Jun 2011
Messages
409
Yes, in the ‘slam door’ days there were 1546 and 1646 PMH - Seaford through services around the late 90s
Also at least one in the morning, guessing about 0758 off FTN. Rammed full of college kids from FTN to Havant.
 

sarahj

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2012
Messages
1,897
Location
Brighton
I have seen references to something called "Big Blue" in some of the above posts.

Could somebody please explain what "Big Blue" is, bearing in mind anything specific to south of the mighty Thames is like a foreign country to me?

If you have facebook you can see our Big Blue page. You cannot join, unless your a southern employee on the south coast routes and we know you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top