• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Porterbrook Cl.769 'Flex' trains from 319s, initially for Northern

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

david l

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2016
Messages
476
Location
Wigan
I guess 421 wasn't trusted to make the journey to Allerton solo!
It tried, went from SP to Wigan North Western (reverse) then left but only got to Wigan South Junc before having to return to Wigan NW and sat awaiting help which came from 769456. Interesting though, as both 769421 and 769452 were seen sat pan(s) up earlier at SP on the Bickesrshaw headshunt so perhaps 769452 wasn't trusted either!
 

david l

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2016
Messages
476
Location
Wigan
How long can this go on?
Availability 'seems' to be getting better of late, with regularly 5 or 6 units starting the day, as opposed to anything between 0-3 which had previously been the case.
6 have started the day today, but neither 769421 nor 769452!
 

TrainLifeGB

On Moderation
Joined
29 Mar 2025
Messages
105
Location
Mitcham
Availability 'seems' to be getting better of late, with regularly 5 or 6 units starting the day, as opposed to anything between 0-3 which had previously been the case.
6 have started the day today, but neither 769421 nor 769452!
Well, they did say they'd try and improve reliability when the line at Bolton was electrified. Took a while, but they're getting there! Surprised.
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,660
Location
Greater Manchester
Looks like 769456 has broken down at Ince, it's been there 10 minutes now and is blocking other trains

Looks like they got it moving 17 mins late and it has now terminated at Wigan.
 
Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2018
Messages
5,247
How long can this go on?
Until Monday of this week, there hadn't been a post in here for over a week which suggests there were no issues for people to whinge about for that duration. Whilst the reliability of 769s hasn't been great, trains of all ages and types break down on the network, causing havoc, every single day. I read on twitter this morning that the line between Stafford-Crewe via Stoke is blocked by a broken down train (which I presume is a 350) and if I look further I will probably find 2 or 3 issues around the country owing to broken down trains of some sort
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,063
Location
St Albans
Until Monday of this week, there hadn't been a post in here for over a week which suggests there were no issues for people to whinge about for that duration. Whilst the reliability of 769s hasn't been great, trains of all ages and types break down on the network, causing havoc, every single day. I read on twitter this morning that the line between Stafford-Crewe via Stoke is blocked by a broken down train (which I presume is a 350) and if I look further I will probably find 2 or 3 issues around the country owing to broken down trains of some sort
Some here do seem to delight in posting about certain trains' failures. :rolleyes:
 

amahy

Member
Joined
9 Dec 2024
Messages
502
Location
West Dunbartonshire
Until Monday of this week, there hadn't been a post in here for over a week which suggests there were no issues for people to whinge about for that duration. Whilst the reliability of 769s hasn't been great, trains of all ages and types break down on the network, causing havoc, every single day. I read on twitter this morning that the line between Stafford-Crewe via Stoke is blocked by a broken down train (which I presume is a 350) and if I look further I will probably find 2 or 3 issues around the country owing to broken down trains of some sort
While this is true, some trains do break down more than others, and 769s are one of the worst train types in terms of reliability in the country. As I have said elsewhere, Northern have been suffering with the "more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time" disruption reason for years, yet nothing gets done about it.
 

Peter749

Member
Joined
27 Apr 2016
Messages
264
Location
Salford
I read on twitter this morning that the line between Stafford-Crewe via Stoke is blocked by a broken down train (which I presume is a 350) and if I look further I will probably find 2 or 3 issues around the country owing to broken down trains of some sort
I looked at Alsager and normally there are two diagrams working the Crewe - Stafford shuttle and one of them did not run
This service was cancelled due to a problem at the depot (MU).

The rest of that diagram is also uncovered.
While this is true, some trains do break down more than others, and 769s are one of the worst train types in terms of reliability in the country. As I have said elsewhere, Northern have been suffering with the "more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time" disruption reason for years, yet nothing gets done about it.
That is the Management speak for "this train is not running because of a Door Fault/Engine fault or other problem affecting that unit on the day".

In the old days the reason for the train not running would be given.
 

GhostManDN91

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2022
Messages
147
Location
Wigan
I did notice yesterday there were more Class 150/156s covering 769 diagrams. I was surprised when I got the 20:32 train home from Bolton to Wigan NW and it was a 2 car Class 150/1 instead of a 769. Nice change of traction though.
 

Killingworth

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
6,503
Location
Sheffield

david l

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2016
Messages
476
Location
Wigan
5 started the day today, with 769431/52 at Springs Branch. However 769456 appears to have had problems on 2W12 earlier. 769431 is booked on 5Y65 2202 Wigan NW-Allerton tonight with 769450.
 
Last edited:

david l

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2016
Messages
476
Location
Wigan
4 only out yesterday, 5 started the day today but 769450 + 769431 seen in electric mode coupled as 8 car at Bolton this evening. 450 rescuing 431??
 

Tony2

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2019
Messages
583
I saw four in service in a 40 minute period at Wigan Wallgate today - 424 431 434 and 446
I’ve seen 769448 today but not 769446?

Currently on 769434 on 2O74. It looks in ex works condition externally!

The windows are all open from Southport for some nice thrash in the driving car until it switched over to electric.
 

childwallblues

Established Member
Joined
3 Jul 2014
Messages
3,890
Location
Liverpool, UK
I’ve seen 769448 today but not 769446?

Currently on 769434 on 2O74. It looks in ex works condition externally!

The windows are all open from Southport for some nice thrash in the driving car until it switched over to electric.
My apologies. It was 448 not 446.
 

Gricer99

Member
Joined
21 Jun 2020
Messages
328
Location
Hindley
452 was out on the early Victoria to Southport service. Started 8 mins late and reached Southport 16 mins late. The next working back to Ostore Road got as far as Wigan 6 mins late and was cancelled due to a problem with the traction equipment.
 

david l

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2016
Messages
476
Location
Wigan
Availability of late has been much better with regularly 5 or even 6 starting the day. However towards the end of this week has tailed off again with only 3 starting the day today. Of the ex-TfW units 769421 has only appeared for 2 days in July (failing both days), then a month or so sat at SP for 'training' and now back at AN. 769452 started off well (but in August) but has had at least 3 'retired hurt' episodes since. As the contract for these 2 with Porterbrook was understood to be over £400k for 1) May-November and 2) June-January I would hope that the finance people at Northern are asking for some redress or re-negotiation!
 

nightflyian

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2021
Messages
35
Location
Southport
Its Monday morning and 434 which ran empty from Springs Branch has just been declared unserviceable for the 0703 Southport - Oxford Rd Service. So the 0725 which was 2x156's was split in 2 with the front half being used for the 0703.
 

nightflyian

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2021
Messages
35
Location
Southport
Just passing through Parbold Southport bound and looks like 421 1303 to Oxford Rd has given up and being rescued by 456 which looks like it had passengers on with 156 sat also at Burscough.
 

Top