• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poor behaviour of off-duty rail staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squaddie

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2009
Messages
1,072
Location
London
he has no proof that they were off duty either and has just made assumptions so even the thread title may be wrong.
Are you suggesting that FGW staff may spend their days sitting in first class, updating their Facebook statuses and slagging off their managers when they're on duty?

He cant go up to the buffet bod and ask them to get the guard to deal with it, that isnt being confident its being sensible, but then its just easier to leave things at the time and "write a letter" later isnt it!
Had the disruption continued beyond Cardiff I would have dealt with it, even though it would have meant hunting for the guard who apparently had better things to do than walk through her train. And why shouldn't I raise the matter with FGW? A quiet word from a passenger is not going to change their behaviour whereas a word from their manager might.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
If the guard gave them permission to be there then there is no issue, much the same as if the guard gave you or I permission to sit in 1st.
Permission to sit in the carriage is one thing. Disturbing paying customers is another.

Take the railway out of it - and consider if that would be acceptable behaviour in any other environment.

Is 1st desginated a "quiet carriage" in the same sense as other quiet carriages?
On FGW's HSTs, coach G in first class is a designated a quiet carriage.
 

broadgage

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2012
Messages
1,094
Location
Somerset
I presume that the O/P does not know for certain that the staff were off duty.
In the unlikely event that they were ON duty, then the behaviour is even more reprehensible !

Unless in possesion of a ticket or pass valid for first class, staff should not use first class accomadation.
An exception might reasonably be made at the discretion of the train manager, but under such circumstances staff should be expected to behave better than was reported to be the case.

Whilst the behaviour of a few FGW staff falls below what should be expected, IME they are on average not a bad lot.

I would urge members of theses forums to report to FGW any SIGNIFICANT misbeaviour or rule breaking by staff, but not to be so petty and small minded as to report every minor misdemeanour.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,429
Location
Yorks
To be honest, given the lack of space in steerage a lot of the time, if staff are going to get subsidised travel, it‘s better for the rest of us that they are accommodated in first .
 

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
To be honest, given the lack of space in steerage a lot of the time, if staff are going to get subsidised travel, it‘s better for the rest of us that they are accommodated in first .
And I'm sure most people wouldn't have a problem with that, so long as the staff remember it is a first class carriage - and not the messroom.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,429
Location
Yorks
Yes, is they started singing sea shanties and reciting Chubby Brown jokes in full voice, it might not be in keeping with the tone.
 

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
Yes, is they started singing sea shanties and reciting Chubby Brown jokes in full voice, it might not be in keeping with the tone.
In many jobs, reciting Chubby Brown jokes at any volume would get you sacked - not just ejected from a quiet carriage.
 

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,048
Location
Yorkshire
As for each person occupying a section of four each - why, if they want to chat to each other, sit round the same table!
I've experienced the same on the bus, two people get on together chatting but then sit on opposite sides of the aisle, at the window seats, shouting across the aisle to each other, Morons!!

This seems to be an age thing, with those in their 50s/60s being happy to sit next to others but those in their 20s not.

(this is my own anecdotal observation rather than science).
 

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
3,275
Overhearing converstaions is one thing but in the grand scheme of things who cares.
I hear loads of conversations between commuters every day that im just not interested in. It seems we live in a world where everyone wants to know everything about everybody, hence crap TV like big brother et al.
If you really object to the conversation that much you could always move seats.

Are you for real?

Even off duty, when wearing the uniform, you represent the company you work for.

If I have my lanyard round my neck, even if I'm out getting my lunch, I represent Southern Gas Networks, and could be disciplined if my behaviour is out of line. What I do when I don't wear my lanyard is my business (I behave no differently because I try and have consideration for others), but as soon as I put it on, I am identifiable as an employee and therefore should behave appropriately.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
FGW staff travel policy is pretty clear and it has recently been commented upon in the in house magazine (a very similar situation to the one the OP references!)

Unless your travel pass states 1st class, then you aren't allowed to travel 1st!!
Fair enough, if its quiet and the TM gives you the nod and invites you to sit there then do so, but play the game, at the end of the day if someone complains about your behaviour then its not just yourself you will be landing in it.

As for each person occupying a section of four each - why, if they want to chat to each other, sit round the same table!
I've experienced the same on the bus, two people get on together chatting but then sit on opposite sides of the aisle, at the window seats, shouting across the aisle to each other, Morons!!

Exactly. Had they all been sat round the table, then they would be able to carry on their conversation quietly and not disturbed anybody.
 
Last edited:

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
I think we have adequately covered the issues arising from this case, which brings this thread to a close.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top