• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

POLITICS!!!!who did you vote for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz37406

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2011
Messages
6
i voted for some dodgy bloke standing against everyone, a local bloke who wants to clean up the streets of my local area,if push come to shove ,15yrs ago it would of been labour, but as ive got older and have to pay bills etc, im glad to see the back of mr brown, it was time for change, like it or dislike it :D get of the fence and be proud who you voted for.:)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
Despite the difficulties, and widespread criticism, I'm still proud to have supported the Conservative Party, both at the ballot box and on the campaign trail.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Labour in the General Election and Liberal Democrat in the council election.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
I had you down as a strong Labour supporter....have you changed sides now?

I'm relatively pleased with the way the local council has been run (Conservative/Lib Dem coalition) so I voted to maintain it.

Nationally I support Labour because I don't like Tory social and welfare policies. I'm not a Labour supporter par se but in our essentially bipartisan system they're better than the Conservatives IMO.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
Liberal Democrats in the national election because a) They were the only people who could unseat Labour in my constituency and b) I thought the candidate himself was better than most of the others.

Voted Conservative and Independent in the local elections.
 

Wyvern

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2009
Messages
1,573
Doesnt really matter where I live. I get Tory whether I like it or not.
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
Doesnt really matter where I live. I get Tory whether I like it or not.

I foresee another debate on AV! ;)

Like you, I'm in a Tory safe seat. Stevenage used to be Labour, but they lost out at the last election. Up until around Royston, which covers the boundary for the NE Herts constituency, everything is Conservative.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,479
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Macclesfield is our constituancy and I voted Liberal Democrat because I was not at all happy with the past Conservative MP, whose wife used to be the MP for the adjoining constituancy of Congleton, but the new Conservative candidate still won with 47.0% of the votes cast...23.9% more than the Liberal Demorcrats. Labour finished in third place.

Obviously, I am not going to say where our local ward is, but in the last council elections, I voted Conservative as they always keep our village an excellant place to live. The Conservative candidate got 78.86% of the vote and only the Liberal Demorcrat stood against him. You don't get the BNP or any of the fringe parties standing, but the local poetess said she was considering standing for the Green Party, but changed her mind and actively campaigned for the Liberal Democats. Labour have not fielded a candidate in our ward for a very long time now.
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
76.86% of the vote! :shock:

That's a landslide victory. My MP finished up with 60%, but just under eighty is quite an incredible score.

I think the Green Party did get a seat at the last election, but I can't remember where the constituency was.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
I think the Green Party did get a seat at the last election, but I can't remember where the constituency was.

Yeah it was their leader Caroline Lucas who won the Brighton Pavilion seat at the last election becoming their first and only MP.
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
Yeah it was their leader Caroline Lucas who won the Brighton Pavilion seat at the last election becoming their first and only MP.

Found her on the Parliament site. She narrowly beat the Labour candidate, but it was quite a close election. The Conservatives weren't all that far behind.
 

Bedpan

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
1,299
Location
Harpenden
I've nearly always voted Lib Dem (or just Libbefore they took on the Dems. Cant say that I'd do any different in the enxt general elecion. I'm quite happy with the coalition, although there again I always thought Gordon Brown was somebody who could be trusted as far as financial issues were concerned, and how wrong I seem to have been!

The only exception has been that I have voted for the English Democrats (not to be confused with the EDL!!) in the European elections as I'm not sure that England gets a fair deal in the UK, and in any case, I can't see that there's any need for a UK in this day and age.
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
I always thought Gordon Brown was dodgy, from the time he sold off the gold reserves, and screwed about with pension funds.

Although I was always traditionally a Labour voter.
 

Chapeltom

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
1,316
Location
Tainan, Taiwan.
Voted Conservative at local elections earlier this year. First time I've been able to vote since I turned 18.

I'm now a member of UKIP though as I think we are being given a seriously rough deal by Europe, we live in a 'democracy' that we should fight for before the Europhiles take all member states and merge them into 1. We didn't sign up for it and we shouldn't been dragged into it. Loons like Guy Verhofstadt - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNMi8wI-enM make my blood boil. Love Europe, Hate the EU. Respect freedom and democracy.
 

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
Conservative, although I don't entirely agree with everything they are doing, they are a lot better than the alternatives. Labour lost a great deal of credibility on the economy and ended all connections with socialism, the Lib Dems are far too close to Europe, and I've never entirely bought Communism (although I like the idea). I tend to vote Green in European elections, although again I don't agree with everything (I think they are wrong about nuclear power for instance). When in Scotland, it's basically 'anybody but the SNP', because I happen to like the UK as it is, besides they are probably even worse than Labour on the economy (and the idea of President Salmond disagrees with me).
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Had to be Labour.

- Would have been Lib Dem if Charlie Kennedy was still in charge.
- Could even have been Tory if David Davis was running them.

Labour got the vote as they are the lesser evil. I wish Milliband well, but I don't think he's got the sales pitch Blair or Maggie had. Burnham should have won :) gotta have another Scouser as PM, last one was Gladstone (1890ish)!!!
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
Labour; I always have been, and I always will be. They are by no means perfect but are the best we are going to get.

I cant stand the "I'm all right jack" policies of the conservatives, their sanctimonious lecturing, their hypocrisy, their inability to admit that many of the social problems in this country are the result of their policies, their hatred of anything that helps those poorer than themselves, the belief that just because you come from a single parent family you are automatically scum, the believe that they are superior to everyone else, the fact they want to return to the days of yore when every man knew his place and that place was below a conservative. The fact that they simply can not understand why 15000 work for the council in Gateshead or Stockton. Neither will I ever forgive them for what they have done entire towns, industries and to millions of people in my area (and will do again)

(So you could put me down as an undecided! :lol::lol::lol:)

BTW - The Lib Dems will reap what they sow at the next election. They betrayed many people who believed in them and bought into their message.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
I didn't vote, nobody seemed to stab for what I stand for. Tbh I wish we had stayed with a labour government through the current financial area, as hopefully they had a long term plan, and the chances are they had got it set up, then the government changed and Cameron threw it away for enforcing his personal agenda of cutting support and decreasing social mobility, whilst trying to rationalise it using the excuse of reducing the deposit... Historically the way to get out of a depression is lost of government spending on public projects (see America recovering from the great depression, when they spent lots ther was large growth that paid for their loans and such, then they started cutting and slipped back into recession, then started spending again and returned to growth).
 

60163

Member
Joined
11 Jan 2011
Messages
515
Location
All around Sloane Square
At Wolverhampton station the other day...the tannoy voice asked for "a Mr. G. Brown to come to staff office"......!

I voted UKIP. But as Bill Hicks said, "It doesn't matter who you vote for, the Government always gets in." Personally sick of the Tory-Labour two horse race and the non-change brought by the wet lettuce Coalition, and Labour IMMEDIATLEY blaming everything on a government that's been in power for over 1 year and is stuck with a Britain affected by....Labour.
 

Eng274

Member
Joined
19 Aug 2010
Messages
796
In my constituency it was a case of "pin a red rosette on a monkey and it'll get elected". It was a Labour stronghold, held by one person, from 1970-2010 (quite remarkable I admit) and so it would take some effort for it to swing anywhere else. sure enough, it was a landslide majority for labour.

I voted Labour, purely because an SNP vote in Westminster is a vote wasted. Not seen or heard much of the new labour MP, but its early days yet!

In the recent local council by-election I voted SNP.

Following the resignation of Councillor David Beckett, a by-election took place on Thursday 18 August 2011.

Winning Candidate: Alasdair Rankin - Scottish National Party (SNP)
Electorate: 14,810
Votes Cast: 3,466
Turnout: 23.4%
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I cant stand the "I'm all right jack" policies of the conservatives, their sanctimonious lecturing, their hypocrisy, their inability to admit that many of the social problems in this country are the result of their policies


Under thirteen years of Labour, who are supposed to be the party of 'the working class man', the gap between the rich and poor increased. Under thirteen years of Labour, and their policies of 'Education, Education, Education,' the coalition took to office with more students failing to get good grades at GCSE level (C or better) than ever before. Under the reign of Gordon Brown, £90 billion was thrown away on public spending, despite repeated warnings to Number 10 that the economic situation was about to go the dogs. Under thirteen years of Labour, the party who were supposed to be in it for the poor, the working class and the ordinary, hard working people of Britain, employment went down, benefit claims went up, the gates of immigration were flung open and the economy took a dive thanks to their reckless spending and total mismanagement of public finances. And then Miliband has the cheek to stand up and address the crowds at the anti-cuts rally, lecturing on how the coalition were 'harsh' and 'unfair' to the people of England. That's hypocrisy.

their hatred of anything that helps those poorer than themselves, the belief that just because you come from a single parent family you are automatically scum, the believe that they are superior to everyone else, the fact they want to return to the days of yore when every man knew his place and that place was below a conservative
.

That's not a Conservative. To be frank, that's just left wing tripe.
 

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,894
Location
South Wales
voted for the conservatives in the last general electrion and labour for the welsh government.

Think gordon brown was an idiot for selling off our gold reserves when he did, i suspect we could have made a lot more money now if we sold them at todays prices.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,950
Location
UK
Labour seemed to use the last 13 years to keep the working classes down (while enjoying many perks themselves) as if it to ensure that keeping them down would keep them voting. They seemed quite content to continue with the scandal and corruption that had afflicted the Tories, and no doubt will again (hardly instills much trust in politicians!)

The Tories have generally tried to tell people to get up off their asses and do something for themselves, but the suggestion you have to actually work at things doesn't go down well with people who are told that everyone is trying to hold you back - and that it's not your fault you're getting nowhere.

I'd rather feel that there are opportunities out there than being kept down, than being told that you'll be okay if the rich get to pay for us all (yet, anyone would happily become rich if they could, so why make out that being successful and earning lots of money is a bad thing?). Of course, it's not always as simple to go out and get rich even if you work hard (but, I'd argue that you make your own luck and opportunities). There will, sadly, always be people worse off than others.

In any case, Labour is no longer the party (in my view) of the working class - but the people who aren't working at all and want the free hand outs. I am sure that many people who have managed to get a job and are good, honest, law abiding people are just as frustrated by the 'under class' we've created that doesn't have any discipline, skill or desire to do anything good.

The question is, what party can mix the best of both sides to find a fair balance? I wouldn't say the Lib Dems, so no wonder people are disillusioned. That said, I do think the coalition is doing a good job, under tough circumstances, with the Lib Dems stopping the nastier Tory policies from happening. It's also a Government that has shown it can listen to the people and change its mind or return to the drawing board. Of course the opposition call these U-turns, but if it means a better policy going forward then let's support more of them!
 
Last edited:

313103

Established Member
Joined
13 May 2006
Messages
1,595
To Strange6 (rather an apt name in my opinion) voting BNP is not an option in my household, my wife is not Caucasian and her family are from the caribbean.

At the last election i voted Labour and saw my MP increase his vote despite the rubbish that Labour are nationally. He is an avid railway and public transport supporter and uses his bike more then BoJo uses his. For the mayoral election i voted Green as voting tory is not an option. Ken had sold out so Labour wasnt going to get my vote. At my last council election i voted Labour after nearly 5 years of Lib Dem misrule that saw my local neighbour office closed, saw my local libary closed etc.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top