• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Police to Railway and references

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellsandbills

Member
Joined
6 Apr 2025
Messages
17
Location
Bristol
It might not come across as a shock to many, that nationally there are thousands of Police Officers under investigation by their forces.

I know a lot are considering joining railway for different roles from entry level to Driver.

If an Officer resigned during gross misconduct investigation, would they stand a chance to join Railway?
Albeit it’s highly likely it will be disclosed on their employment references. Any insights from personal experiences will be much appreciated.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harpo

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2024
Messages
3,923
Location
Newport
Depends on each company’s policy on providing references. Many will only provide confirmation of a person’s period of employment.
 

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2016
Messages
1,759
If an Officer resigned during gross misconduct investigation, would they stand a chance to join Railway?
It has happened before

People in that situation exhibiting the same reprehensible behaviours that got them into trouble with their previous employers, resulting in their swift departure from railway service, has also happened before
 

Twotwo

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2018
Messages
677
Obviously we don't know the background of what happened but I can only assume the worst, esp to go through a gross misconduct as a police officer, and ngl I would be worried if you was my colleague.
 

the_bear

Member
Joined
19 Aug 2024
Messages
42
Location
South East
It might not come across as a shock to many, that nationally there are thousands of Police Officers under investigation by their forces.

I know a lot are considering joining railway for different roles from entry level to Driver.

If an Officer resigned during gross misconduct investigation, would they stand a chance to join Railway?
Albeit it’s highly likely it will be disclosed on their employment references. Any insights from personal experiences will be much appreciated.

To be fair bud it’s no secret what certain police forces are putting their cops through (particularly males). You only need to read some of the misconduct reports to realise how farcical and politically motivated some of these proceedings are. So I wouldn’t say all is lost.

Be open and honest about it all and hopefully they’ll be able to see what a load of rubbish it more than likely is. If you try to cover it up or lie then that is what will close the door for you quicker than anything else… Just my opinion.

Obviously we don't know the background of what happened but I can only assume the worst, esp to go through a gross misconduct as a police officer, and ngl I would be worried if you was my colleague.

Also if you’re new to these forums you’ll get plenty of narrow minded inflammatory comments like this..
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,825
Also if you’re new to these forums you’ll get plenty of narrow minded inflammatory comments like this..
If you think comments are inappropriate there's a report button at the bottom of every post.
 

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2019
Messages
1,517
It might not come across as a shock to many, that nationally there are thousands of Police Officers under investigation by their forces.

I know a lot are considering joining railway for different roles from entry level to Driver.

If an Officer resigned during gross misconduct investigation, would they stand a chance to join Railway?
Albeit it’s highly likely it will be disclosed on their employment references. Any insights from personal experiences will be much appreciated.

I come from a strong policing background and I have to say that in recent years, more serving cops are being sacked than ever before. The standards of professionalism have always been considerably high in policing, but following multiple police scandals in the 2000s & 2010, misconduct regulations were amended in 2018 with the introduction of the College of Policing (CoP) Barring Policy.

Since then cops are being investigated and sacked for trivial things that 20 years ago would have been dealt with via a reprimand from an Inspector or kindly words of advice. A former colleague lost his job in January after sending a private jokey text message on WhatsApp to a third party that was considered to be sexist. I’m not defending his actions nor am I am justifying sexist behaviour, but this was man with 25 years service and probably one of the most professional cops you would meet. To the best of my knowledge he was never subject to any previous serious complaints during his service and he did in fact receive a couple of commendations for his dedication to his work.

Most police officers can resign whilst under investigation, although in some cases the force professional standards can block a resignation or retirement. However, under CoP guidelines regardless of the officer jumping ship, a misconduct hearing will still go ahead in their absence weeks or months later in front of a chief officer.

For someone leaving under investigation, future employers will always want to know your work history, probably in the form of a CV. Invariably, when approaching any employment, a crucial question will be - why did you leave your last employment? If you say I resigned they may want to know why you left and I would always encourage honesty where possible.

Police officers have many transferable skills, but when I left the service myself a number of years ago because the job was making me unwell, I didn’t find prospective employers falling over themselves offering me jobs! Many jobs are extremely hard to come by and those in the railway, whether they are trainee drivers or supporting roles such as customer service based, will attract an avalanche of candidates.

On the topic of references, police forces will not provide references - they will merely provide dates of the officer’s services record and how they left - retired, resigned or dismissed. Very rarely will former police line managers provide references to ex-staff because it is frowned upon.

There is nothing to stop you exploring the world of railway employment but please be mindful that being a cop is not the golden ticket to getting a decent role within a train operating company. However, just be mindful of trying to hide any misdemeanours from the police as they can sometimes come back to bite you if you are not honest with new employers.

CJ
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,025
Location
London
On the topic of references, police forces will not provide references - they will merely provide dates of the officer’s services record and how they left - retired, resigned or dismissed. Very rarely will former police line managers provide references to ex-staff because it is frowned upon.

This is standard line management / HR procedure anywhere really, not specific to the police or emergency services.

I don't think the worth of references is what it used to be other than confirming the CV isn't totally bogus.
 

RossMc

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2024
Messages
133
Location
West Lothian
Obviously we don't know the background of what happened but I can only assume the worst, esp to go through a gross misconduct as a police officer, and ngl I would be worried if you was my colleague.

Ah, so you are one of these guilty until proven innocent people are you? Assume the worst of someone, rather than taking the time to bother finding out both sides of the story.
 

Twotwo

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2018
Messages
677
Ah, so you are one of these guilty until proven innocent people are you? Assume the worst of someone, rather than taking the time to bother finding out both sides of the story.

I'm happy for the OP to tell us what the gross misconduct is? And yeah tbf in the railway it's usually guilty until proven innocent so yeah I will assume the worst unfortunately
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,025
Location
London
I'm happy for the OP to tell us what the gross misconduct is? And yeah tbf in the railway it's usually guilty until proven innocent so yeah I will assume the worst unfortunately

That's nonsense. Where did you get that idea from? For example if you were to talk about suspension as "guilty until proven innocent" well that is normally to do a thorough, fair investigation and most HR policies specifically refer to this as being a neutral move. This allows all sides of the story to come together. It's also a highly unionised industry so they would not let that fly.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Ah, so you are one of these guilty until proven innocent people are you? Assume the worst of someone, rather than taking the time to bother finding out both sides of the story.

Gross misconduct is a serious charge, so I think it is fair to say that you can "assume the worst" (or at least prepare for it) and "be worried" about the charge. Perfectly reasonable to feel that way.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,575
The OP hasn’t been online since 19:00 on Sunday. I’m going to bring this thread to a close.

@bellsandbills if you’d like this conversation to continue, please reach out to us via Conversation message.

Thank you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top