• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Podcasts you’d recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,442
Tomorrow's World Audit picks apart episodes of Tomorrow's World. They discuss what technology has lasted and what sank without trace.

For example, the latest episode is on a show from 1973 in Holland. When I saw that it lasted 2 hours 45 minutes, I wondered if I was going to need the fast forward button, but it zipped by.

 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,944
Location
Devon
Tomorrow's World Audit picks apart episodes of Tomorrow's World. They discuss what technology has lasted and what sank without trace.

For example, the latest episode is on a show from 1973 in Holland. When I saw that it lasted 2 hours 45 minutes, I wondered if I was going to need the fast forward button, but it zipped by.


That looks interesting.
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,442
That looks interesting.
I was 5 when the Dutch episode was broadcast, but I remember the music from the top 10, so I pretty sure I watched it first time around.

I met Michael Rodd 20 years ago, when his production company filmed a promo video for my employer.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,944
Location
Devon
Tomorrow's World Audit picks apart episodes of Tomorrow's World. They discuss what technology has lasted and what sank without trace.

For example, the latest episode is on a show from 1973 in Holland. When I saw that it lasted 2 hours 45 minutes, I wondered if I was going to need the fast forward button, but it zipped by.


Well I must thank you for recommending this. I’m on my 3rd one in the last two days and they are excellent.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,944
Location
Devon
Thats practically a full time job!

:lol: I’ve been painting the outside of a house on my own all week. Plenty of podcast time for me.

I’ve usually got my headphones on up some scaffolding somewhere in Devon this time of year!
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
You might like a listen of Empire - it is another history pod form the Goal hanger stable about empires ( focusing initially on the British Empire and India in particular). I Have heard the first couple and it was very interesting.

 
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,944
Location
Devon
You might like a listen of Empire - it is another history pod form the Goal hanger stable about empires ( focusing initially on the British Empire and India in particular). I Have herd the first couple and it was very interesting.


I’ve looked at that a couple of times and thought about giving it a go. I’ll have a listen to one tomorrow if you reckon it’s worth a go?

Another one that I’ve been enjoying is Real Dictators. The current one on Napoleon is fascinating:


Narrated by Paul McGann too!
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,442
I’ve looked at that a couple of times and thought about giving it a go. I’ll have a listen to one tomorrow if you reckon it’s worth a go?
I've listened to a couple of episodes of Empire so far and they are pretty good. William Dalrymple has been on The Rest is History podcast a few times and written several books on the Empire.
Anita Anand wrote this about the Amritsar massacre

The News Agents is the follow on from Americast, with Emily Maitlis and Jon Sopel. It doesn't start properly until Tuesday, but it has a lecture from Emily Maitlis

Susie Dent has a podcast with Gyles Brandreth, but I only came across "Having Words with Susie Dent" today
There are a couple of episodes on Soundcloud, but for the other 4 I can only find them by listening on the WWW site.
 

TwoYellas

Member
Joined
10 Jul 2021
Messages
258
Location
Birmingham
The BBC Radio 4 podcast 'In Our Time'
presented by Melvyn Bragg has lots of good historical stuff on it. Just listened to one from a few years ago called 'Wealth of Nations' about the works of Adam Smith. The latest one is about cave art which I'm going to listen to soon.
 
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,944
Location
Devon
Can anyone recommend any decent railway podcasts to listen to?
There’s this one:
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,442
There’s this one:
Roundel Round We Go is a podcast where each episode covers a London Underground station, covering the history, architecture and local area. Its presented by Emily Turner and Paul Burkitt-Gray. Emily recently was in the news when she went from London to Edinburgh with £2 bus tickets for the bit in England.

Rails to Nowhere has a few episodes on railway history

Comfort Blanket is a podcast from Joel Morris "Talking about the films, TV shows, books or music which people go to again and again to feel safe, happy and welcome." This is an episode where Tim Dunn discusses Metro-Land by John Betjeman

Rail Natter is from Gareth Dennis
https://railnatter.podbean.com/

Alexei Sayle's Strangers on a Train isn't a podcast, but you can listen to episodes at

You Should Have Been There is a podcast with Simon Calder on travel in general, but has a fair amount on train travel.

Ride the Rails is a podcast with AndyB and Mark Smith from www.seat61.com

Railway Mania
 

Gemz91

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2013
Messages
735
Location
Garden Shed
Cheers for merging the threads and thank you for the suggestions. Will give them a listen see (or hear) what they’re like.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,944
Location
Devon
Cheers for merging the threads and thank you for the suggestions. Will give them a listen see (or hear) what they’re like.

Yeah there’s a couple I haven’t listened to there. Thanks @bspahh. :)
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,677
Location
Solihull
I've become obsessed with the Wrestle Me podcast, subscribing to it on Patreon. Its very funny which is cheering me up while i have one of my periodic encounters with the black dog.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
We have ways of making you talk:
Al Murray and James Holland talk all things Second World War. Excellent if you’re into WW2 history and like a bit of humour to boot.
Just been the the third festival - I bring this up as they have made a commitment to out ALL of the talks fro mthe frstival out on the public pod cast. There were 3 days of 3 stages so there is a LOT to come.

Some pictures here: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAUWRM

I would also recommended the Rest is Politics Leading: Long form gentleish ( if spikey from time to time ) interviews/conversations with persons of note - a wide range of speakers and some interesting discussions.

I also recently relistenined to both series of 13 minutes to the moon and it is fantasitc
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,944
Location
Devon
Just been the the third festival - I bring this up as they have made a commitment to out ALL of the talks fro mthe frstival out on the public pod cast. There were 3 days of 3 stages so there is a LOT to come.

Some pictures here: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAUWRM

I would also recommended the Rest is Politics Leading: Long form gentleish ( if spikey from time to time ) interviews/conversations with persons of note - a wide range of speakers and some interesting discussions.

I also recently relistenined to both series of 13 minutes to the moon and it is fantasitc

I’d agree with all three of those (I’ll have a look at the photos later too :)).

I’ve been listening to “You’re wrong about” recently. I think it’s really well researched and very interesting the way they cover news stories about people that were misrepresented or maligned in the press when the original stories came out:

I’m also enjoying The News Agents (and the US weekly version):
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,442
These are the podcasts that I'm subscribed to which have had an episode in the last couple of weeks:

Science/Maths:
When Science Finds a Way
Genetics Unzipped
A Problem Squared
Technically Speaking | a science and engineering discussion
The Life Scientific
The Infinite Monkey Cage
More or Less: Behind the Stats
They've Made Us

Entertainment:
Comfort Blanket
Script Apart
Kermode & Mayo's Take
Screenshot
Simon Mayo's Books of the Year

Railways/travel:
Rails to Nowhere
You should have been there
Signals to Danger - Railway disasters in the UK
#RailNatter

Comedians:
Like Minded Friends with Tom Allen & Suzi Ruffell
Crushed by Margaret Cabourn-Smith
Off Menu with Ed Gamble and James Acaster
Memory Lane with Kerry Godliman and Jen Brister
My Seven Wonders with Clive Anderson
Secret Artists with Annie McGrath
Namaste Motherfkrs
Where There's a Will, There's A Wake
'Oh My Dog!' with Jack Dee and Seann Walsh
Drunk Women Solving Crime
Cuddle Club with Lou Sanders
Taskmaster The Podcast
THE ADAM BUXTON PODCAST
Out of Character with Alex Lynch
Taskmaster: The People's Podcast

Politics:
The News Agents
Ukrainecast
Full Disclosure with James O'Brien
Americast
The Rest is Politics
Page 94, The Private Eye Podcast
Snowcast (with Jon Snow)
Pod Save the UK
Oh God, What Now?

History:
The Ancients
Patented: History of Inventions
The History of England
The Rest is History
Dan Snow's History Hit
Empire
Gone Medieval
Ancient Office Hours
We Have Ways of Making You Talk
You're Dead to Me
Let's Talk about Myths, Baby! Greek & Roman Mythology Retold
The Hated and the Dead
British Scandal

Miscellaneous:
Something Rhymes with Purple
Table Manners with Jessie and Lennie Ware
Cautionary Tales with Tim Harford
The Rabbit Hole Detectives
Richard Wiseman's On Your Mind
Better Known
Instant Genius
My Time Capsule
Easy German: Learn German with native speakers
How to Academy Podcast
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top