• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Please help to make the railway safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
It's so sad when someone is tragically killed in that manner.

However, I think investment shouldn't be put into full-height barriers or suchlike but instead into education about railway safety.

I teach Citizenship in school, and while railway trespassing isn't a great problem in this part of Doncaster (Edlington/Warmsworth/Tickhill) since there aren't many lines, we show our Y7s two excellent videos produced by the BTP. I don't want to go into detail, for obvious reasons.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
I sympathise with what has happened, and would never wish that sort of thing upon anyone, but I'm going to say this anyway, as this is one of these things that really winds me up.
That night they made a bad decision to walk home on the track after just missing their last train.
I've highlighted the important word in there.
They were stupid enough to walk along the tracks - the fault lies with no one but themselves.
Unfortunately they died in a tragic accident but an accident that could have been prevented.
What, by wrapping them in yet more cotton wool, so the big nasty real world can't hurt them?
Somewhat remarkably, almost all of the population haven't been killed by trains, I wonder how that could have happened if they're so dangerous?
The stations are not manned, the CCTV is not monitored, there is no security in place at stations, level crossings or on the track.
So what do you suggest?
Should every single railway line in the country be covered by a big plastic tube, so that no one can get onto them?
People standing guarding every single possible access point to the railway?
Banning trains?
Presumably the same will have to be done to every single road too, since people are killed on them as well.
The government needs to take action.
No, it doesn't.
People need to start taking some personal responsiblity, and realising that they are responsible for their own actions and the subsequent consequences.
They need to demand that the private rail companies are implementing safety precautions for all passengers.
Presumably you're happy to pay for all of these 'safety precautions' then?
Personally, I'd support the removal of some of the more overcautious precautions companies are forced to take, and the banning of 'no win, no fee' ambulance chasers.
If you make the choice to do something stupid and end up injured or dead as a result, it's your own fault for choosing to take the risk in the first place.
Security gates should be fitted to stop passengers being able to walk from the platform on to the track.
So, all the way along every platform in the country, then? Presumably they'll also have to be fitted along every section of track too, just in case someone decides they want to go for a wander.
Oh, and the roads as well, I take it they'll all have to be separated and gated off, just in case someone goes on them and gets killed.
Something needs to change to prevent this from reoccurring.
Yes, it does - people need to learn to take the responsiblity for their own actions and not just try and blame everyone else when they do something stupid.
 

GadgetMan

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2012
Messages
980
This pair were 19 years of age, so hardly young children. No amount of education would've stopped them from trespassing. If there was a fence at the end of the platform, which for obvious reasons will still leave atleast a foot of platform exposed, they will have squeezed by it.

As above, I have sympathy for the family left behind, but this incident however tragic was self-inflicted.
 

district

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2011
Messages
1,115
Location
SE16
I think we've established fault is not with the railway and the railway cannot physically prevent people from entering the tracks if they decide to do so. It was their stupid decision and they've been punished for it. Not mine, yours nor the railways fault. People need to look closer to home and understand responsibility cannot just be pushed around to others.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
This pair were 19 years of age, so hardly young children. No amount of education would've stopped them from trespassing. If there was a fence at the end of the platform, which for obvious reasons will still leave atleast a foot of platform exposed, they will have squeezed by it.

I haven't read about the incident, I had imagined they were younger.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top