(Reposting as I was previously using same account with my spouse and our thread was combined - I wanted to use a separate thread as we are talking about different topics)
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if any of you could help reviewing this mail below i'm sending to TFL.
TL;DR: I was caught using my spouse's freedom pass last week in one of the underground stations and received this letter by mail on Tuesday.
Any comments or feedbacks are welcomed. If you need any further information on my case to advise please let me know.
Thanks in advance, hope you all have a great day.
[Letter]
Dear Investigations, Appeals and Prosecutions Team,
I am writing to express my deepest regret regarding the misuse of my spouse's Freedom Pass on [date]. I fully appreciate that using someone else's Freedom Pass is utterly unacceptable and constitutes fare evasion. I am truly sorry for this serious breach of trust and I am prepared to reimburse Tfl for the losses I have caused and I accept any fines.
I must admit that I failed to properly understand the considerable impact fare evasion has on the transport network. I've since learnt that such actions collectively cost TfL millions of pounds annually, affecting service quality and placing unfair burdens on fare-paying passengers. Had I grasped the magnitude of this harm, I would never have contemplated such behaviour. I am genuinely mortified to have contributed to this problem.
With regard to the extent of misuse, I work primarily from home and use public transport rather infrequently. The vast majority of my journeys were taken my Oyster card - kindly refer to my travel history. (Oyster no: xxxxx, xxxxx, putting 2 numbers I switched my Oyster card at some point)
I would like to offer some context about my personal circumstances—not as justification, but as an honest account of the situation behind my poor judgement. Over the past few years, I have been under considerable financial and emotional strain whilst supporting my spouse through a prolonged illness. He was diagnosed with cancer in July 2022 and has since undergone multiple NHS operations, radiotherapy, and most recently, a procedure at xxxx Clinic in xxx in MM, YYYY (see evidence in the attachment A which outlines his medical history). His illness, along with his epilepsy (which qualifies him for the Freedom Pass), has been difficult for both of us. We started setting aside funds for potential follow-up therapy outside of the NHS, as we've endured numerous delayed treatments due to NHS capacity. On top of this, There were multiple occasions we had to felt compelled book a private paid appointment with his NHS doctor which costs £200-250 per visit just to have a clarity on the current progress of his complicated surgery/therapy plan as there was a lot of delay in procedure without good explanation or time speculation. After he found out from his Epilepsy doctor he is eligible for Freedom Pass we wrongly thought it would be helpful for us if I occasionally use his Freedom Pass to ease some of the financial pressure by this.
I feel thoroughly ashamed and remorseful, and I am entirely prepared to reimburse TfL for all unpaid fares. This situation taught me a lesson and I do not ever see myself attempting anything as foolish as this ever again, and I sincerely appreciate the opportunity to express my regret and take full responsibility for my actions.
I sincerely hope you will consider allowing me to rectify my mistake by paying any fines rather than proceeding with prosecution, which would have sever long-term consequences for me and potentially further financial trouble to this household.
Should you require any further information or supporting documentations, kindly let me know.
Yours faithfully,
(FYI: I'm sharing this account with my spouse, the holder of this pass. this post was moved to the post my spouse wrote previously for some reason, in case you were confused with my spouse's previous post)
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if any of you could help reviewing this mail below i'm sending to TFL.
TL;DR: I was caught using my spouse's freedom pass last week in one of the underground stations and received this letter by mail on Tuesday.
Any comments or feedbacks are welcomed. If you need any further information on my case to advise please let me know.
Thanks in advance, hope you all have a great day.
[Letter]
Dear Investigations, Appeals and Prosecutions Team,
I am writing to express my deepest regret regarding the misuse of my spouse's Freedom Pass on [date]. I fully appreciate that using someone else's Freedom Pass is utterly unacceptable and constitutes fare evasion. I am truly sorry for this serious breach of trust and I am prepared to reimburse Tfl for the losses I have caused and I accept any fines.
I must admit that I failed to properly understand the considerable impact fare evasion has on the transport network. I've since learnt that such actions collectively cost TfL millions of pounds annually, affecting service quality and placing unfair burdens on fare-paying passengers. Had I grasped the magnitude of this harm, I would never have contemplated such behaviour. I am genuinely mortified to have contributed to this problem.
With regard to the extent of misuse, I work primarily from home and use public transport rather infrequently. The vast majority of my journeys were taken my Oyster card - kindly refer to my travel history. (Oyster no: xxxxx, xxxxx, putting 2 numbers I switched my Oyster card at some point)
I would like to offer some context about my personal circumstances—not as justification, but as an honest account of the situation behind my poor judgement. Over the past few years, I have been under considerable financial and emotional strain whilst supporting my spouse through a prolonged illness. He was diagnosed with cancer in July 2022 and has since undergone multiple NHS operations, radiotherapy, and most recently, a procedure at xxxx Clinic in xxx in MM, YYYY (see evidence in the attachment A which outlines his medical history). His illness, along with his epilepsy (which qualifies him for the Freedom Pass), has been difficult for both of us. We started setting aside funds for potential follow-up therapy outside of the NHS, as we've endured numerous delayed treatments due to NHS capacity. On top of this, There were multiple occasions we had to felt compelled book a private paid appointment with his NHS doctor which costs £200-250 per visit just to have a clarity on the current progress of his complicated surgery/therapy plan as there was a lot of delay in procedure without good explanation or time speculation. After he found out from his Epilepsy doctor he is eligible for Freedom Pass we wrongly thought it would be helpful for us if I occasionally use his Freedom Pass to ease some of the financial pressure by this.
I feel thoroughly ashamed and remorseful, and I am entirely prepared to reimburse TfL for all unpaid fares. This situation taught me a lesson and I do not ever see myself attempting anything as foolish as this ever again, and I sincerely appreciate the opportunity to express my regret and take full responsibility for my actions.
I sincerely hope you will consider allowing me to rectify my mistake by paying any fines rather than proceeding with prosecution, which would have sever long-term consequences for me and potentially further financial trouble to this household.
Should you require any further information or supporting documentations, kindly let me know.
Yours faithfully,
(FYI: I'm sharing this account with my spouse, the holder of this pass. this post was moved to the post my spouse wrote previously for some reason, in case you were confused with my spouse's previous post)
Last edited: