• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Playstation Network User Info may have been stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Chaos

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2011
Messages
840
Source:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13192359

Just thought I would post this as I know there are a few gamers on here.

If you use the Playstation Network to download games and make purchases etc, Sony believe that the stored Credit Card information may have been stolen.

What is also concerning is that PSN ID's, passwords, e-mail addresses, names, addresses, DOB's, purchase history and other things has also probably been stolen. Advice is to change any passwords to your e-mail addresses that are linked to your accounts especially if they are the same as your PSN account.

I am very angry with Sony over this. Why has it taken them so long to tell us what has occured? I understand that these things can happen. Sony won't be the first company to have been hacked in this way. But why wait 6 days to tell your customers that all your data has been nicked?!?

This could have serious implications for it's users. Not only is it possible that someone could be making merry with peoples credit/debit cards but there is also the possibility of ID theft occuring to any of it's 70 million users.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
I blame the closed source nature of it. They didn't have to do anything because nobody independent is able to check - this was the first I heard of it after all.
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
Heard the whole story on the radio this morning. I don't have a Playstation, I have an Xbox, but I'm still putting off the idea of getting it online for a while.
My card was attacked last year but somebody trying to book a flight to the US. They weren't succesfull, as Barclays were very good and shut off the purchase nearly instantly. As far as I know, the Playstation Network is currently down for maintanence.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top