• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform Tickets London St Pancras

Status
Not open for further replies.

96tommy

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
1,076
Location
London
Is it possible to get Platform Tickets to go on the Southeastern High Speed Platforms at London St Pancras
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,777
Location
South London
Southeastern themselves do issue platform tickets but it's an EMT ticket office so probably not. When I went there last year I just asked the gateline assistant and he let me through, no problems at all. This year I was actually travelling on it so I could go through anyway.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,570
Ive dug deep into the forums...


The only documents I can find (officially) mentioning Platform Tickets is the DfT Penalty Fare Rules Policy:
4.10 At stations with a CTA, operators must make arrangements for people who are not travelling to be allowed into the part of the station covered by the CTA, if they have a good reason. This includes people who are meeting passengers, seeing passengers off or helping them with luggage, people helping passengers with disabilities, and people such as railway enthusiasts. The arrangements might include making platform tickets available at the ticket office or from a machine. People who are helping passengers with disabilities should not be charged to enter a CTA.

On STAR machines this is how to issue them - I believe EMT use STAR, correct me if wrong.

STAR:

--Anywhere to Anywhere Home Screen
--Manual Fares
--Platform Tickets
--Select payment method on right hand side.
--Once payment has been made, ticket will issue.
Would take me maybe 40-50 seconds to do for a cash transaction.
 

Mintona

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2006
Messages
3,592
Location
South West
Yep, as others have said, go and have a word with the gateline staff, I would be astonished if any of them didn't let you through for a few photos.
 

96tommy

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
1,076
Location
London
I will have to try this on Friday when I am going!!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
How does platform tickets work at London King's Cross. I will also go here because you normally see people at the end of the platform
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Just tell the gateline crew what you're doing and they should let you through. :D
 

Jordy

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
8,466
Location
WCML South
Most of the time there are no gateline crew anyway, so you can just walk onto the platforms at Kings Cross.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,919
Location
UK
Platforms 1-7 at KGX are usually not blocked, and would only be so by staff. Platform 8 is a free-for-all and 9-11 are gated until around 9pm.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,570
10p for one hour access - the STAR machienes are the ones used by the ticket office clerks, they are not self service!
 
Joined
30 Dec 2009
Messages
12
So it looks hopeful about getting access to the Southeastern platforms at St. Pancras. I would assume the chances of getting allowed access onto the Eurostar platforms are zilch, short of getting a return ticket to France and coming back, but one wouldn't be that desperate! XP
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
Absolutely no chance of getting in Eurostar platforms without a ticket and going through check-in, security and passport control. Not even non-Eurostar staff can't get on there!
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,570
Absolutely no chance of getting in Eurostar platforms without a ticket and going through check-in, security and passport control. Not even non-Eurostar staff can't get on there!
... apart from the police when they have a valid reason!
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,570
Thanks!!! Do you show staff the platform ticket or put it through the machine
Try putting it through the gate-line - but if it rejects it then see staff (who may ask you to put it through again :roll:)
 

96tommy

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
1,076
Location
London
I am thinking to going to London Euston soon to see 378s and 350's and 390's, does anybody know if they issue platform tickets or do you just walk on to one of the platforms
 

asylumxl

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2009
Messages
4,260
Location
Hiding in your shadow
I am thinking to going to London Euston soon to see 378s and 350's and 390's, does anybody know if they issue platform tickets or do you just walk on to one of the platforms

Go to the trade office, see the duty manager and sign in. Then you can go onto the platforms with no issue.

When I was last there the office was being redone, and they were in a portacabin.
 

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,397
Location
Bedford
The Virgin platforms are ungated (apart from manual checks - mainly in peak periods IME). To get onto the LO platforms you'll need a ticket or validated Oyster card :)

Edit: Probably better off using the method in asylumxl's post above thinking about it :)
 
Last edited:

Crossforth

Established Member
Joined
20 Aug 2009
Messages
1,337
Location
Lancashire
St. Pancras staff are really friendly, they usually say, don't get in the way of passengers but that is it. Euston I'm not sure on as the one time I have been there, I was travelling out to Willesden Junction on a 313 so had a valid ticket allowing me onto the platforms.
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
St. Pancras staff are really friendly, they usually say, don't get in the way of passengers but that is it. Euston I'm not sure on as the one time I have been there, I was travelling out to Willesden Junction on a 313 so had a valid ticket allowing me onto the platforms.

I have done both stations recently and this is what i had to do. On both occasions i asked nicely if i could go to the end of the platform to take photos and at St Pancras they point blankly said no unless i had permission. So off i went to the Network rail office (hard enough to find!) and they klindly issued me with a pass. EMT were happy with it but South Eastern looked at me as if I was trying to fob them off!

At Euston i was told i needed permission so i went and got it (but you don't get anything to prove this!!) and i headed back to the platform and the guy had gone.

It's a pain but getting NR to say yes is easy. The usual warning about flash photogrpahy, tripods and getting in the way.
 
Last edited:

Crossforth

Established Member
Joined
20 Aug 2009
Messages
1,337
Location
Lancashire
I have done both stations recently and this is what i had to do. On both occasions i asked nicely if i could go to the end of the platform to take photos and at St Pancras the point blankly said no unless i had permission. So off i went to the Network rail office (hard enough to find!) and they klindly issued my with a pass. EMT were happy with it but South Eastern looked at me as if I was trying to fob them off!

At Euston i was told i needed permission so i went and got it (but you don't get anything to prove this!!) and i headed back to the platform and the guy had gone.

It's a pain but getting NR to say yes is easy. The usual warning about flash photogrpahy, tripods and getting in the way.

It evidently depends on which staff you get then as I suppose is the case at most stations :lol:
 

Crossforth

Established Member
Joined
20 Aug 2009
Messages
1,337
Location
Lancashire
No chance at Liverpool Street. Theres hardly any friendly NR or NXEA staff there.

My first bad encounter there was someone woman with a strong Eastern European accent giving a long lecture about no photos. The second person I saw started and then went "Just kidding" and let me through :lol:
 

alexdodds

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2009
Messages
394
Location
Chester-le-Street
I have done both stations recently and this is what i had to do. On both occasions i asked nicely if i could go to the end of the platform to take photos and at St Pancras they point blankly said no unless i had permission. So off i went to the Network rail office (hard enough to find!) and they klindly issued me with a pass. EMT were happy with it but South Eastern looked at me as if I was trying to fob them off!

At Euston i was told i needed permission so i went and got it (but you don't get anything to prove this!!) and i headed back to the platform and the guy had gone.

It's a pain but getting NR to say yes is easy. The usual warning about flash photogrpahy, tripods and getting in the way.

The station reception at St Pancras is quite a walk and well hidden for those who dont know about it lol. twice i went there while on holiday and on both times i didnt need to sign in or get a badge EMT staff let me through straight away. I did go to the office first though.

I had the same problem at Euston last monday. Went to trade reception and got permission then went to the doors to the longest platform and the ticket guy said i needed a platform ticket so went back to trade reception and the duty manager give me a badge and he said platform tickets dont exsist. no problems after that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top