• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform Souls website

Status
Not open for further replies.

picknick99

New Member
Joined
17 Jan 2009
Messages
2
Just wanted to say how much I have appreciated the generosity of fellow rail enthusiasts in allowing me to use some of their lovely photos on my new (non-commercial) Platform Souls website. In particular Bill Wright, Peter Hackney and Nigel Ratledge, who were more than enthusiastic. I hope to be asking for similar help with more later 70s diesel stuff and keep my fingers crossed that otehr will be similarly open and generous.

Mind you, some have flatly refused - which is their right of course, but I do wonder where they are coming from as regards the spotting faternity! Any comments?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bluenoxid

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2008
Messages
2,668
Well it can be for a whole host of issues. Of course we don't know what website you run so it could be anything and I wouldn't be happy. I like to be asked and reserve the right to refuse.
 

Coxster

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
9,243
Possibly something to do with Nicholas Whittaker's book 'Platform Souls'?
 

picknick99

New Member
Joined
17 Jan 2009
Messages
2
Yes, that's me! You can check it out if you go to www.nicholas-whittaker.com and follow the platform souls links

Really, I'm just playing devil's advocate here, musing on the academic and practical issues of this whole copyright thing. While I have no wish to 'steal' anyone's photos, there are some interesting areas for discussion. E.g - you take a photo of a railway loco, but that loco is in itself a design that has been patented and copyrighted, so one might argue that is a kind of infringement in itself. There is also such a thing as 'fair use' - so (just as I am allowed to quote from a book) if I downloaded a photo of a deltic, say, and went on to use that photo, appropriately credited, to illustrate a point couldn't that be regarded as fair usage? Let's face it, the monetary value of most railway photos is negligible and one man's photo of Pinza could well be indistinguishable from that of another man's - so we're hardly talking works of art or potential lost income! I discussed this over a curry last night with a guy who works in the media and he agreed with me, unless it was a wholesale theft of many photos there'd be very little an aggrieved photographer could actually do about a single instance...

But to reiterate, there are so many generous people out there, that unagreed borrowing would very rarely be necessary and for every individual who gets anal about the use of his deltic photo there are another hundred who are only too happy to see it reach a wider audience.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes, that's me! You can check it out if you go to www.nicholas-whittaker.com and follow the platform souls links

Really, I'm just playing devil's advocate here, musing on the academic and practical issues of this whole copyright thing. While I have no wish to 'steal' anyone's photos, there are some interesting areas for discussion. E.g - you take a photo of a railway loco, but that loco is in itself a design that has been patented and copyrighted, so one might argue that is a kind of infringement in itself. There is also such a thing as 'fair use' - so (just as I am allowed to quote from a book) if I downloaded a photo of a deltic, say, and went on to use that photo, appropriately credited, to illustrate a point couldn't that be regarded as fair usage? Let's face it, the monetary value of most railway photos is negligible and one man's photo of Pinza could well be indistinguishable from that of another man's - so we're hardly talking works of art or potential lost income! I discussed this over a curry last night with a guy who works in the media and he agreed with me, unless it was a wholesale theft of many photos there'd be very little an aggrieved photographer could actually do about a single instance...

But to reiterate, there are so many generous people out there, that unagreed borrowing would very rarely be necessary and for every individual who gets anal about the use of his deltic photo there are another hundred who are only too happy to see it reach a wider audience.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top