As a regular user I hate to say this but the worst use of capacity along the Piccadilly-Castlefield corridor is ATW. Their trains are often only two coaches and a maximum of four. They also waste time and space by staying in Mayfield sidings for about 50 minutes at a time. They would be better running through Victoria to terminate at Rochdale or Stalybridge. It would mean both express services from Chester would run to Victoria not Piccadilly but it would allow for a longer train to use the corridor.
ATW do not run 2 and 3-car trains by choice! That is all they have, and I am sure they would prefer to operate longer trains than have a crush on almost every service east of Chester - even in the middle of the day.
Not many now sojourn in the Mayfield loop, as the return extension to the Airport is just managed in the time available. As to being diverted through Victoria, the extension to the Airport has been a long time in coming, and I'm sure more attractive. Somehow, Bangor to Stalybridge or Llandudno to Rochdale doesn't have the same appeal.
Last edited: