Whilst the services down the line are not crush loaded, with any form of improvement to the service (i.e. normalizing the slightly bizarre stopping patterns) we will likely see the existing services quickly pushed to that point. I have spent many a journey to Manchester sat on a class 156 luggage rack or stood in the vestibule of a 6/185.
I would also invite all those suggesting cutting the line in half at Warrington or closing the Manchester connection altogether to actually use it and see that the passenger flows in the peaks are not entirely obvious- whilst there are quite large portions of passengers doing the normal flows (Villages>Manchester/Liverpool/Warrington) there are also a fairly significant number doing routes such as Villages>Birchwood or Manchester>Irlam/Birchwood. Whilst this may be slightly biased (I used to commute Manchester>HuntsX and still do the reverse 2-3x/week) there always seems to be people forgetting the cross-Warrington flow.
The biggest reliability problem on the line seems to be the acceleration of the 142/150/156s not being able to keep up with the timetable and delayed starts resulting in a ~3m delay by the time the stopper even reaches HuntsX. This delay then knocks on the following express that catches up with it causing it to be late into the Castlefield-Picc corridor.
As a local and regular (3+ returns/week) user of the line, my wish list (in order of want) would be:
- Regular Stopping Patterns
- More 4 car trains (and removing non-23m stock)
- Sensible ticketing (NT only advances to/from anywhere other than main stations got removed on the timetable change)
- Electrification and better accelerating trains
- Actually putting a sensible height platform at Sankey to stop certain guards telling us their life story all the way from Widnes...
These are all from a lay person and so I expect to be told that I'm completely wrong and the adults are talking...