• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plain Packaging on Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Ok then, if you are so sure then can you provide me the figures please. I am only stating hte income that HMRC are giving us, I am yet to see anything to back up your claims. If you can then great, that will help.[/QUOTE
]http://www.the-tma.org.uk/tma-publications-research/facts-figures/tax-revenue-from-tobacco/

Try that for size :p

ps sorry the link has failed I am a reet with computers !! - someone please help.

pps their source is HMRC but shows the VAT as well.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Ok then, if you are so sure then can you provide me the figures please. I am only stating hte income that HMRC are giving us, I am yet to see anything to back up your claims. If you can then great, that will help.

http://www.the-tma.org.uk/tma-publications-research/facts-figures/tax-revenue-from-tobacco/

Try that for size :p

ps sorry the link has failed I am a reet with computers !! - someone please help.

pps their source is HMRC but shows the VAT as well.

There you go.

But thanks for the link, and also this quote

The source for the excise duty is HMRC while the VAT is a TMA estimate.

So they are estimating something yet you are claiming it as a fact. That makes sense. And from a body who represents the Tobacco industry. Well I never.


Still, I am unsure of why you are getting all in a blather about this - just found out you buy your tabs from abroad so you are in fact contributing nothing from your habit into the coffers, apart from them being made here. Good to see you're not being a hypocrite about any of this then.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
There you go.

But thanks for the link, and also this quote



So they are estimating something yet you are claiming it as a fact. That makes sense. And from a body who represents the Tobacco industry. Well I never.


Still, I am unsure of why you are getting all in a blather about this - just found out you buy your tabs from abroad so you are in fact contributing nothing from your habit into the coffers, apart from them being made here. Good to see you're not being a hypocrite about any of this then.

Are you stalking me clip ....have the moderators asked you to give me a hard time :lol:

Look at the HMRC figure and add 20% on :roll:
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Are you stalking me clip ....have the moderators asked you to give me a hard time :lol:

Look at the HMRC figure and add 20% on :roll:

No but considering you post stuff on an open forum then it is highly likely I may read one of the posts and have that remind me of another post, affiliated with the subject matter.

Ahh, so now you are trying to tell me how to add up - I am impressed, thanks for that valuable lesson.

Even though the TMA total figures are somewhat different to HMRC's on what is collected am I to believe only the TMA accounts then? I mean if they were so sure of the figures they were peddling then why claim it only to be an estimate? Is its that simple then why do they not claim is as a fact?

Are now to just accept things that are heresay and conjecture without any solid proof? Or do aliens really exist and if they do why do they only probe peoples bottoms?
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
No but considering you post stuff on an open forum then it is highly likely I may read one of the posts and have that remind me of another post, affiliated with the subject matter.

Ahh, so now you are trying to tell me how to add up - I am impressed, thanks for that valuable lesson.

Even though the TMA total figures are somewhat different to HMRC's on what is collected am I to believe only the TMA accounts then? I mean if they were so sure of the figures they were peddling then why claim it only to be an estimate? Is its that simple then why do they not claim is as a fact?

Are now to just accept things that are heresay and conjecture without any solid proof? Or do aliens really exist and if they do why do they only probe peoples bottoms?

Would you like to put your money where your mouth is ?

Namely that the combined figures for excise duty and vat on tobacco products 2012/13 exceeds Eleven Billion Pounds.

I've got £20 says it does and I will obtain the definitive figures :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Would you like to put your money where your mouth is ?

Namely that the combined figures for excise duty and vat on tobacco products 2012/13 exceeds Eleven Billion Pounds.

I've got £20 says it does and I will obtain the definitive figures :p

Calling Clip.....have you bottled it ? :p
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Erm no I havent bottled anything thanks. Sorry I am not at your beck and call on a forum, I actually have something of a life too you know.

Im not going to bet with you on anything. I have asked you to come up with facts about your claim and the best you can come up with is someone giving an estimate.

I still fail to see why this whole thing bothers you when you pay no duty on tabs anyway therefore when you get a smoking related illness you wont have paid near enough money into the coffers for your treatment.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Erm no I havent bottled anything thanks. Sorry I am not at your beck and call on a forum, I actually have something of a life too you know.

Im not going to bet with you on anything. I have asked you to come up with facts about your claim and the best you can come up with is someone giving an estimate.

I still fail to see why this whole thing bothers you when you pay no duty on tabs anyway therefore when you get a smoking related illness you wont have paid near enough money into the coffers for your treatment.

Hello Jeeves :lol: - sorry to hear you are not available on demand.

I will try and source accurate information that is from an acceptable source.

In my defence I do pay the rate of duty applicable in Luxembourg (perhaps they will treat me)

Poor Butts has paid in for many decades prior to my Archimedes "Luxembourg moment" so I have "coffed" enough into the coffers to treat my ailment :cry:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top