• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photography locations for H&C steam special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
I will be traveling to London tomorrow, and plan on taking some photos of the steam hauled charters running as part of the H&C 150 year anniversary celebrations.

Can anyone tell me of any good photography locations, preferably above ground?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2012
Messages
3,565
Location
Beckenham
Barbican was good last time. An experience not to miss though is Kings Cross. Its the most 'modern tube' station it goes through and is a single bore station in each direction. Really fills up with steam and is VERY noisy. Enjoy.
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,163
Location
JB
I will be traveling to London tomorrow, and plan on taking some photos of the steam hauled charters running as part of the H&C 150 year anniversary celebrations.

Can anyone tell me of any good photography locations, preferably above ground?

Baker Street is pretty much a 'must do' shot, as is King's Cross as mentioned above.

In terms of above ground stations, during the day any of the stations between Westbourne Park and Goldhawk Road can give nice shots, personal favourites include Wood Lane (Modern), Latimer Road and Ladbroke Grove.

If you are around for the first and last trip to/from Northfields then there's a few nice ones along the District/Piccadilly - Earl's Court, Notting Hill Gate and Chiswick Park spring immediately to mind.

I'll be out and about all day with a blue hoodie or blue raincoat depending on what the weather does, as well as a large backpack. Please do say 'Hi'! :)

Hope this helps.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
For video, No1 is guaranteed to be working hard at Goldhawk Road with lots of sound effects; it's uphill from Hammersmith...
 

simple simon

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
728
Location
Suburban London
I was hoping to see something like an HST alongside the train at Royal Oak, alas the 6 GWML tracks adjacent to the station were empty.

I did Kx and Baker St during LU150 in 2013, but those runs were mostly in the evening and in January it was after nightfall. This time I stayed above ground... in the evening South Ealing was perfect as the sun was in the right direction and it was guaranteed that no other train would block the view.

I've placed some still images on Flickr at this link... https://www.flickr.com/photos/citytransportinfo/sets/72157645724095047/

As yet my videos are still to arrive at youtube, however I have several films (including Kx and Baker Street) from LU150 there. On youtube I'm user citytransportinfo.

On one occaision the steam train at Kx was puffing as it passed through the station and it became seriously foggy on the platform. For a one-off special event this was great but I'm not sure this would have been welcomed all the time. I used this event and the fact that this is the only "tube style" station through which the subsurface trains pass (ie: single track tunnel with side platform) to create a youtube film on the theme of how thankful we are that the deep level tube trains were always electric. This can be seen here: http://youtu.be/H78SOuMvGQM

Another advantage of Kx is that it is always busy with regular passengers and especially with the ones with suitcases (who are obviously tourists that had probably just arrived on the Eurostar trains) so you should see their faces when a steam train arrives! :D:D:D
 
Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
Simon, if you have any with me in please e-mail them to me. :)

I have a feeling I might have encountered you at least three times yesterday without knowing it... Royal Oak for the westbound passage of trip one, Hammersmith for the trip 1 / 2 layover and Moorgate at the midpoint of trip 2.

I'm the cloth eared one who had a camcorder and I also had my 7 year old son in tow.
 

Kazington

Member
Joined
23 Mar 2014
Messages
21
As yet my videos are still to arrive at youtube, however I have several films (including Kx and Baker Street) from LU150 there. On youtube I'm user citytransportinfo.

Aha! I've seen you about before, think I'm subscribed. Hi there.
I *might* have seen you at Baker Street, around 20 to 5 on the outer rail platform, at the east end of it. HDV Camera and monopod, right? Only guessing based on rapidly fading memory so apologies if wrong!

I've edited my videos together into one lump here. It's not the best, but I'm only really just starting out in the world of photting. I hope to get an SLR before the end of the year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top