• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photo ID for Chiltern Season Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpo

Member
Joined
13 Sep 2023
Messages
19
Location
Oxford
I've just popped to Oxford Station as I'm about to purchase an annual season ticket from Oxford Parkway to Oxford. As far as I'm aware - I need to have a photo card done for the season ticket but I've just been told at the Oxford station that this not required and I can just load the season ticket onto the Chiltern Smartcard which I have and I do not require photoID.

Everything I can seem to find online says it does but the person I spoke to at Oxford was adamant about this; is this correct?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,824
I've just popped to Oxford Station as I'm about to purchase an annual season ticket from Oxford Parkway to Oxford. As far as I'm aware - I need to have a photo card done for the season ticket but I've just been told at the Oxford station that this not required and I can just load the season ticket onto the Chiltern Smartcard which I have and I do not require photoID.

Everything I can seem to find online says it does but the person I spoke to at Oxford was adamant about this; is this correct?
Does your smartcard have a photo of you on it? Or just your name?
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,785
Location
UK
With a Smartcard season my understanding is there is no requirement to have a photocard. Instead you just need to carry some form of photo ID in case you were asked to verify that you are the season ticket holder.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,824
With a Smartcard season my understanding is there is no requirement to have a photocard. Instead you just need to carry some form of photo ID in case you were asked to verify that you are the season ticket holder.
That's also my understanding and why I asked my question. An anonymous smartcard would still require a photocard.
 
Last edited:

carpo

Member
Joined
13 Sep 2023
Messages
19
Location
Oxford
Went to purchase it this morning and unfortunately it does look like it's mandatory and will not let me proceed with the purchase without one - just posting this in case anyone else is interested in the future.

Back down the station for me then to sort this out!
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20250821-072046.png
    Screenshot_20250821-072046.png
    195.5 KB · Views: 84

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,474
Location
London
Went to purchase it this morning and unfortunately it does look like it's mandatory and will not let me proceed with the purchase without one - just posting this in case anyone else is interested in the future.

Back down the station for me then to sort this out!
Whilst it doesn't say it on Chiltern's website, the usual guidance when buying a season ticket to load onto a Smartcard is to enter the last eight digits of the Smartcard number in the Photocard field.
 

carpo

Member
Joined
13 Sep 2023
Messages
19
Location
Oxford
If anyone is interested - i've now had it confirmed by Chiltern that a photocard is absolutly required on the network, station staff at Oxford Parkway have provided me with one and i've purchased the ticket!
 

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,071
Location
Selby
If anyone is interested - i've now had it confirmed by Chiltern that a photocard is absolutly required on the network, station staff at Oxford Parkway have provided me with one and i've purchased the ticket!
Interesting. Required on the network? Or required with a Chiltern smartcard? If the former, it's going to cause problems when someone who legitimately uses an Avanti/WMR* smartcard wants to make a permitted diversion from their normal route? Or use their smart season as part of a split ticketing arrangement.


*ok so WMR say a photocard is still required for their smartcards.

An Aside: Industry policy here seems confused. Some TOCs (WMR, LNER) are in the photocard camp. Others such as Northern are in the no photocard camp. What then happens were there is cross-validity? Surely contractually the terms of the medium should apply rather than TOCs make up rules about what medium is accepted on 'their' network?
 
Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,824
Some TOCs (WMR, LNER) are in the photocard camp.
I'm not so sure thst LNER are in that camp where smartcards carry the holder's name. They certainly aren't where it carries a photograph.
 

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,071
Location
Selby
I'm not so sure thst LNER are in that camp where smartcards carry the holder's name. They certainly aren't where it carries a photograph.
Hmm interesting I was just looking at what is said about smart seasons on their website
 

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2014
Messages
6,289
Location
Wallsend or somewhere on the ECML
We (LNER) have three types of Smartcard. Those issued online come with a photo. Those issued via a Smartcard printer at Kings Cross, Peterborough , Doncaster ,York and Newcastle Travel Centres also come with a photo on. Those issued at our other locations don't have a photo and require a photo card.
 

carpo

Member
Joined
13 Sep 2023
Messages
19
Location
Oxford
Interesting. Required on the network? Or required with a Chiltern smartcard? If the former, it's going to cause problems when someone who legitimately uses an Avanti/WMR* smartcard wants to make a permitted diversion from their normal route? Or use their smart season as part of a split ticketing arrangement.


*ok so WMR say a photocard is still required for their smartcards.

An Aside: Industry policy here seems confused. Some TOCs (WMR, LNER) are in the photocard camp. Others such as Northern are in the no photocard camp. What then happens were there is cross-validity? Surely contractually the terms of the medium should apply rather than TOCs make up rules about what medium is accepted on 'their' network?
I meant network aka the entire Chiltern Railways network. You can have a smartcard, but there's no photo on it, and you have to register it to a photocard. It's odd isnt it. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to the staff at Oxford as it's a GWR station and she was certain that this wasn't required, but it clearly is.
 

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2014
Messages
6,289
Location
Wallsend or somewhere on the ECML
I believe the rules are that Smartcards printed with the customer's name and with those details registered in TMS do not require a photocard but those like most of LNER's which simply have the customers name written on must also have a photocard.
 

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,474
Location
London
I believe the rules are that Smartcards printed with the customer's name and with those details registered in TMS do not require a photocard but those like most of LNER's which simply have the customers name written on must also have a photocard.
Though Chiltern aren't currently issuing anonymous cards as they can't be registered against a web account. As such, they're only usable at TVMs and Ticket Offices.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top