• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Phone stolen and lner refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citybreak1

Member
Joined
14 Mar 2022
Messages
483
Location
Scotland
Before you go to the Ombudsman and waste your time, what reason did the travel insurance give for declining to pay out?

You need to carefully check your policy documents. Did the travel insurance actually include phone cover, did it cover theft?

If you paid for the bargain basement travel insurance that didn't include phone cover then of course they are not going to pay out and going to the Ombudsman will be pointless. To be blunt when it comes to tickets you seem to have bought the cheapest most restrictive version and expected all the flexibility of the more expensive option, so it wouldn't totally surprise me if you haven't actually got the cover you are claiming for.
They said the policy wasn’t high enough or expensive enough to cover. I did read the small print and i did seem they did cover phones being stolen. It was all 2 day trip so I assumed that was a fair price.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,886
Which insurance company and what is exactly the level of cover you bought?
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,314
This is my screen

I do Edinburgh to London with a two together railcard. I clicked a return journey but all ticket conditions say non refundable?
If you click on where it says 'mix and match' then this will bring up a number of options, including 'fully flexible' - which are refundable.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Also Eurostar offer free changes why do UK operators not do this?
UK TOCs offer changes for a nominal fee of £5. Some ticket sellers such as CrossCountry waive this fee for changes of e-tickets. Flexible tickets can be purchased on the day if you cannot or do not wish to plan ahead.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

If you've explained it to the insurance company as clearly as you've posted here I'm not surprised they've declined the claim, as they wouldn't have a clue what actually happened.
Indeed.
No insurance is going to pay out if you decided not to travel just because you'd previously had a bad experience.
Yes, this is classed as disinclination to travel and nobody covers that.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
This is my screen

I do Edinburgh to London with a two together railcard. I clicked a return journey but all ticket conditions say non refundable?
I can see "cheapest flexible return" as the second item, which has no Advance tickets. As your second screenshot shows, it is Advance tickets that are non-refuhdable.

Incidentally, it is only very recently (within the last couple of months, apart from during lockdown) that Eurostar tickets have become refundable.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,777
They said the policy wasn’t high enough or expensive enough to cover. I did read the small print and i did seem they did cover phones being stolen. It was all 2 day trip so I assumed that was a fair price.
In very simple terms, no insurance policy is going to pay out a claim for theft where no police report was made. And that applies if the claim value outweighed the excess, which may not be the case on such a cheap policy. There is not a chance of the Ombudsman ruling otherwise.
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,709
Location
Burgess Hill
I can see "cheapest flexible return" as the second item, which has no Advance tickets. As your second screenshot shows, it is Advance tickets that are non-refuhdable.
70 min flex tickets are also non-refundable.
 

Citybreak1

Member
Joined
14 Mar 2022
Messages
483
Location
Scotland
In very simple terms, no insurance policy is going to pay out a claim for theft where no police report was made. And that applies if the claim value outweighed the excess, which may not be the case on such a cheap policy. There is not a chance of the Ombudsman ruling otherwise.
The insurance policy claims my wife never took gadget cover so that’s it nothing can be done sadly.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I can see "cheapest flexible return" as the second item, which has no Advance tickets. As your second screenshot shows, it is Advance tickets that are non-refuhdable.

Incidentally, it is only very recently (within the last couple of months, apart from during lockdown) that Eurostar tickets have become refundable.
Thanks yes confusing as the 70 min flexible are non refundable. I am sure the Lumo website is a little easier for refunds but I have never booked via Lumo.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,886
The insurance policy claims my wife never took gadget cover so that’s it nothing can be done sadly.
This is like a bad game of 20 questions trying to unlock relevant information.

I don't think at any point you mentioned it wasn't your phone that was stolen.

Travel insurance generally doesn't include gadget cover as standard. You need to choose the option and pay extra for it. If it wasn't covered then there's no point claiming and absolutely no point wasting your time with the ombudsman.
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,128
The insurance policy claims my wife never took gadget cover so that’s it nothing can be done sadly.
So if you didn’t report it to the police (needed for any theft claim), and the relevant cover wasn’t even included in the policy, why on earth do you think the insurer has any obligation to pay out. (And why are you even discussing it here?).
 

Citybreak1

Member
Joined
14 Mar 2022
Messages
483
Location
Scotland
So if you didn’t report it to the police (needed for any theft claim), and the relevant cover wasn’t even included in the policy, why on earth do you think the insurer has any obligation to pay out. (And why are you even discussing it here?).
I did report it later via email and I also never knew it had no gadget cover until my wife checked as it was her who booked it so I never knew at time of posting.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top