• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Philip D Hawkins Virgin Voyager print query

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
Hello all

Went down to Shepton Flea Market yesterday, didn't find anything until near the end where I found a framed print of a Voyager on the Dawlish Sea Wall by artist Philip Hawkins, and on the bottom was his signature with numbers 66/250

I liked the look of this so snapped it up for £30, and went home to do some online research, but I can't find anything much about this hardly any reference online I can find, was there only 250 of these printed? Or was there a lot more unsigned ones as well, can't seem to buy one anymore. Don't know when these came out either, maybe when they were fairly new? Is it a limited run that was linked to some Virgin Trains event or collaboration?

A long shot I know just hoping posting this someone might know! Any help appreciated as I say doing a search online it's like this never existed :lol:

20260118_133959.jpg20260118_230841.jpg

James
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cymroglan

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2011
Messages
189
Hello all

Went down to Shepton Flea Market yesterday, didn't find anything until near the end where I found a framed print of a Voyager on the Dawlish Sea Wall by artist Philip Hawkins, and on the bottom was his signature with numbers 66/250

I liked the look of this so snapped it up for £30, and went home to do some online research, but I can't find anything much about this hardly any reference online I can find, was there only 250 of these printed? Or was there a lot more unsigned ones as well, can't seem to buy one anymore. Don't know when these came out either, maybe when they were fairly new? Is it a limited run that was linked to some Virgin Trains event or collaboration?

A long shot I know just hoping posting this someone might know! Any help appreciated as I say doing a search online it's like this never existed :lol:

View attachment 196162View attachment 196163

James
He is a fairly well known artist, specialising in railways. His website has contact details, so I would suggest that an email enquiry might be your best bet. All the best with your search!
 

35B

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2011
Messages
5,555
Hello all

Went down to Shepton Flea Market yesterday, didn't find anything until near the end where I found a framed print of a Voyager on the Dawlish Sea Wall by artist Philip Hawkins, and on the bottom was his signature with numbers 66/250

I liked the look of this so snapped it up for £30, and went home to do some online research, but I can't find anything much about this hardly any reference online I can find, was there only 250 of these printed? Or was there a lot more unsigned ones as well, can't seem to buy one anymore. Don't know when these came out either, maybe when they were fairly new? Is it a limited run that was linked to some Virgin Trains event or collaboration?

A long shot I know just hoping posting this someone might know! Any help appreciated as I say doing a search online it's like this never existed :lol:

View attachment 196162View attachment 196163

James
The numbering means that the print will be from a limited edition run. That will mean that the limited edition is just that, and only a maximum of 250 were produced. However, I wouldn't like to say whether that means the image is limited edition, or just the signed edition with his signature and the Virgin logo.

As for the origins, I suspect the logo is a sign that the print was commissioned around the time that Voyagers were introduced, but that is no more than a hunch.
 

pdeaves

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
5,932
Location
Gateway to the South West
The use of the official Virgin Trains logo on the border strongly suggests to me that Virgin Trains commissioned the work, so would be associated with publicity. I would presume that the 'limited' nature is to do with the signature.
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
Yes trying to figure out how many were done I understand it's 250 limited as a signed edition, just don't know if there was any standard prints as well, or literally only 250 prints ever done, as mentioned must be publicity to have the logo too, will contact Philip on the site thank you for the link, and see what the response is, I'll post on here if I get anything back
 

leezer3

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2006
Messages
123
Location
Cornwall/ Norwich
It's from here (who as far as I can tell are just his LTD):

(I can't find it in the wayback machine, so possibly pre 2005)

I'd suspect not publicity, probably just licenced from Virgin.
Going by the others, there are probably a further 50 numbered 'artist proofs' in addition to the 250 prints, plus the original. Whilst I haven't come across this particular chap before, *most* artists tend to sell un-numbered prints as well (at exhibitions etc).

Cost of ~£85 when new.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield
That's a really nice print, I'll have to keep my eye out for one to come up for sale somewhere
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top