WesternLancer
Veteran Member
- Joined
- 12 Apr 2019
- Messages
- 15,269
Let’s see what they say in response.Thank you all. I have submitted both an appeal and a complaint to GTR.
Firstly, the appeal to Penalty Services, below:
Dear Sir/Madam,
Reference: x
I am writing in response to a letter dated 21 September 2026 regarding a Penalty Fare Notice (PFN) of the reference above.
I am writing on the grounds of appeal that I did not receive a PFN on the spot by my Revenue Protection Officer on the 26 August 2026 for my actions. Therefore, I was unable to pay the PFN within the 21 day mark. I had also not received any letter or email correspondence prior to the letter dated 21 September 2026.
I also understand that the appeal window is within 21 days. However, I would be grateful if you could consider this case as I have only received the letter on the 25 September, which is after the 21 day mark.
Thank you for your help.
Yours sincerely,
x
Secondly, the complaint to GTR:
Dear Sir/Madam,
Reference: x
I am writing in response to a letter dated 21 September 2026 regarding a Penalty Fare Notice (PFN) of the reference above.
I am writing on the grounds of appeal that I did not receive a PFN on the spot by my Revenue Protection Officer on the 26 August 2026. Therefore, I was unable to pay the PFN within the 21 day mark. My RPO had also not informed me of the fact I was being charged a PFN, the identification number of the collector, the penalty fare number, the amount, or how to pay.
I believe this breaches many regulations under Penalty Fares, 5. -2:
The Railways (Penalty Fares) Regulations 2018
These Regulations make provision for the charging of penalty fares for the failure to produce, when required to do so, a ticket or other authority authorising a person to travel by train or to be present in a compulsory ticket area at a station.www.legislation.gov.uk
I had also not received any letter or email correspondence prior to the letter dated 21 September 2026.
Thank you for your help.
Yours sincerely,
x
Thank you all for your help guys. I will keep you all updated here on how it goes.
For future stages it might be a good idea to post drafts of what you want to send for people to proof read before you send them in. Experts here can often suggest amends like quoting the actual legislation clauses that set out why what happened was a breach of correct procedure for example, which can help strengthen a submission.
But you will have more stages of this that can be used especially if you want to enlist help of watchdogs like London Travelwatch should the matter need escalating. Which I suspect may well be required.
Keep us posted on how this develops as I’m sure people here will be happy to keep assisting if they can.