• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PFN for NR employee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billynomates12

New Member
Joined
4 Nov 2024
Messages
3
Location
UK
Hi, I have been issued a fine for not having a ticket travelling from Duddeston to New street, i did however purchase a ticket for my connection from New Street to Albrighton (a far more expensive ticket). I know the forum probably hears this all the time but i genuinely forgot to purchase the ticket. I work for Network Rail and get my tickets for free (through the corporate system agiito) for traveling to and from different depos, which was the case from traveling from Albrighton to Duddeston. I have been issued with the attached which I appealed which got rejected with the attached rejection email. I understand that just because I'm a NR employee doesn't give me the right to not purchase a ticket, i know I'm banged to rights but is there anything i can do £50 seems steep for a 2.90 journey. I was told by the issuing officer that my appeal would more than likely get accepted (more than likely told me this so I would cooperate). Any advice would be apricated. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • fine1.PNG
    fine1.PNG
    142.1 KB · Views: 97
  • fine2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 59
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jim

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,490
Location
Wick
Pay up and think yourself lucky I think that you aren't being prosecuted or sanctioned by your employer.

I don't think there is a leg to stand on here sadly, morally or legally? That is of course unless there's a reason you couldn't purchase your ticket at Duddeston, I am not familiar with the facilities there.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,660
Location
LBK
On what grounds did you appeal? I hope you didn't mention you're a rail employee because travel irregularities are a huge no-no if you work in the industry and a rapid route to a disciplinary if your employer finds out.
 

Cuthbert

Member
Joined
4 Jul 2024
Messages
321
Location
United Kingdom
Pay up and think yourself lucky I think that you aren't being prosecuted or sanctioned by your employer.

I don't think there is a leg to stand on here sadly, morally or legally? That is of course unless there's a reason you couldn't purchase your ticket at Duddeston, I am not familiar with the facilities there.
Duddeston has a ticket office and a TVM by the stairs to the island type platform.
 

Billynomates12

New Member
Joined
4 Nov 2024
Messages
3
Location
UK
Unfortunately I did mention I am a NR employee in my defence. Ill pay the fine and hope there is no backlash. Thanks for your time.
 

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,332
Location
Reading
Precisely what ticket did you hold and how much did you pay for it? What time did you travel? (so peak/off-peak, single/return etc.)
Did you hold that ticket BEFORE you left Duddeston?

(Some but not all fares are the same, which might provide some mitigation if that applies here and the right amount had been paid before departure.)
Also check the notices at Duddeston - whether the words comply with the regulations and/or whether the placement of them complies - too often stations you can argue a station isn't compliant so a Penalty Fare can't be imposed.
 

Cuthbert

Member
Joined
4 Jul 2024
Messages
321
Location
United Kingdom
Precisely what ticket did you hold and how much did you pay for it? What time did you travel? (so peak/off-peak, single/return etc.)
Did you hold that ticket BEFORE you left Duddeston?

(Some but not all fares are the same, which might provide some mitigation if that applies here and the right amount had been paid before departure.)
Also check the notices at Duddeston - whether the words comply with the regulations and/or whether the placement of them complies - too often stations you can argue a station isn't compliant so a Penalty Fare can't be imposed.

New Street to Albrighton does not stop at DUD nor go past/through it.
The posters are correct as it is WMT main station for short fare evasion. All posters are correct as they fell foul of incorrect ones many years ago with some saying £10 when the PF at the time was £20. And a few posters were not visible.
If it is wrong I stand corrected but I used the station last week and it was up to date.
 
Joined
7 Jan 2019
Messages
536
Location
North West
See if you can get a WMT duty pass if you travel between Duddeston and New Street often (assuming you were travelling for work to either Saltley DU or Birmingham ROC).
 

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,332
Location
Reading
New Street to Albrighton does not stop at DUD nor go past/through it.
(CDR is same fare)

The posters are correct as it is WMT main station for short fare evasion. All posters are correct as they fell foul of incorrect ones many years ago with some saying £10 when the PF at the time was £20. And a few posters were not visible.
If it is wrong I stand corrected but I used the station last week and it was up to date.
I have yet to find a station that currently uses the words specified in the regulations. Train companies seem to be taking the view that this doesn't matter, but that seems foolhardy in the absence of a specific court ruling to that effect, given how trivial it would be just to use the mandated words and eliminate any risk! With the recently publicised errors likely to nullify thousands of rail prosecutions (at a cost potentially running into the tens of millions), you'd think they would be doing everything in their power to make sure nothing like that could happen to Penalty Fares in future too.

Regarding placement of the notices, I've seen very few stations that could reasonably be considered to be compliant - the regulations impose quite a high bar. I'm not familiar with the station in question.
 

7Sonofa7Son

Member
Joined
27 Mar 2024
Messages
31
Location
London
I would just pay it mate. I never make a fuss about people from NR or other TOCs travelling on services I work, and whilst *most* staff on other TOCs feel the same way, there will always be those that would prefer to enforce the rules in this scenario, as is their right.

I personally would just take it on the chin in this instance. I've heard about situations where RPOs are extra diligent when encountering rail staff without tickets and it gets a lot more serious a lot quicker.
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Awful as it sounds, I'd jump at the chance and pay it - £50 for a no questions asked resolution is a gift, as the consequences for a TOC/NR employee would be a serious can of worms.

That said, I agree with the above - Birmingham Albrighton is probably valid via Duddeston / Perry Barr - if that ticket was held and produced to the RPI at or before the time of the incident it may invalidate the penalty fare, others may confirm.

I'd pay it regardless, then challenge it afterwards assuming you had the Albrighton ticket prior to the check.
 
Last edited:

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,332
Location
Reading
Is Birmingham to Albrighton valid via Duddeston? Changing at Tamebridge Parkway.
We need to know if it was a single or return ticket - e.g. inadvertently using up the last portion of the return if that was shown.
 

Billynomates12

New Member
Joined
4 Nov 2024
Messages
3
Location
UK
Thanks all for your advice, ill take it on the chin and lesson learnt. For what its worth attached is the ticket i purchased before the travel from duddeston to new street.
 

Attachments

  • fine3.PNG
    fine3.PNG
    35.3 KB · Views: 120

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,841
Thanks all for your advice, ill take it on the chin and lesson learnt. For what its worth attached is the ticket i purchased before the travel from duddeston to new street.
Well, that ticket is clearly not valid to travel from Duddeston to New Street and then on to Albrighton.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top