• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PeterY. All Line Rover Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
I've spent days in the planning, I was surprised just how long it has taken me.

I'm trying to use has much 1st Class as possible and also do some new routes. No doubt after a week I won't want to see the inside of a train for a while :'(

I'm hopefully starting Sunday 8th April but I'll only give a general overview because plans can change. If Northern are on strike it will mean a quick revamp.
Sunday.
Hemel Hempstead, Manchester, Birmingham, London Marylebone, Rickmansworth and spend the night at home.
Monday.
Hemel Hempstead, York (Using Grand Central) Newcastle, Carlisle, Prestatyn (meeting a friend)
Tuesday.
Rhyl, London Euston, Paddington, Swindon, Westury, Bristol, Exmouth (Overnight)
Wednesday.
Exmouth, Birmingham, Glasgow (Overnight)
Thursday.
Glasgow, Weymms Bay, Glasgow, Manchester, Huddersfield, Todmorden, Manchester, Stockport (Overnight)
Friday.
Stockport, for the Denton flyer, Stalybridge, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, Harrogate, York, Edinburgh. (Overnight)
Saturday.
Edinburgh, London Kings Cross, This last bit will depend how I feel:lol:. London St Pancras, Nottingham, Leicester, Nuneaton, Hemel Hempstead.

Do people think this is too much? I sort of worked it out to be travelling basically between 8am and no later than 7pm.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cambsy

On Moderation
Joined
6 Oct 2011
Messages
1,114
This isn’t too much at all, When I did my last 1st class 7 day ALR, I was in a sleeper berth 6 nights out of seven, and covered about 8000 miles, I like to travel about 18-22 hours out of 24, I did the following in my last ALR,

Sun
Tiverton Parkway-Plymouth-Manchester-London-Glasgow[sleeper]

Mon
Glasgow-London-Aberdeen-London[sleeper]

Tues
London-Penzance-Bodmin Parkway-Penzance-London[sleeper]

Weds
London-Bristol-London-Swansea-London-Aviemore[sleeper]

Thurs
Aviemore-London-Glasgow-London[sleeper]

Fri
London-Montrose-Inverness-Preston[sleeper] sleeper late so changed at Preston to a Pendolino to. London

Sat
Preston-London-Manchester-Reading-Tiverton Parkway

This is the more extreme way of using ALR for week, its a lot of travelling, and definitely felt it at the end, but its how I like to do it.
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,900
No overnight train journeys? That's 90% of the fun! Back in the day, we used to do 6 overnights in a row in the seats on a Freedom of Scotland...
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
I did 6 nights out of 7 on the sleepers on mine too. Didn't hit 8000 miles though! Thats impressive! It's tiring but adrenaline kept me going and it saved me money not crashing in hotels each night.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
Looks good Peter. When are you doing it?
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
Looks good Peter. When are you doing it?

I'm already on plan D. :). Due to family circumstances (which I knew may happen) I'm now starting Sat 7th April and finishing Friday 13th April.

The Sunday to Friday are basically the same but when I get to York on Friday, heading straight home.

The first Saturday will now be Hemel Hempstead, Milton Keynes, Crewe, Shrewsbury, Hereford, Worcester, London Paddington and home.

I'm not doing it for best ever mileage, traction, etc just something I've wanted to do.

I'd thought about the overnight sleeper(s) but I don't sleep well sitting up.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
You don't seem to be taking much advantage of the catering in First, and finishing by 7pm will affect that.
I'm with you on not doing overnights BTW - not since Mk1 SKs disappeared!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
It looks like a nice week.
I think if I did one now then I’d probably try and mop up a few of the lines that I still need but I don’t know if I could handle too many overnights in seated coaches these days...
I didn’t realise until reading it again that you’re near me Peter. Were you not tempted to head home rather than stay in Exmouth on the Wednesday night?
I know a couple of good places to go to around Exmouth though if you do end up staying there.
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
It looks like a nice week.
I think if I did one now then I’d probably try and mop up a few of the lines that I still need but I don’t know if I could handle too many overnights in seated coaches these days...
I didn’t realise until reading it again that you’re near me Peter. Were you not tempted to head home rather than stay in Exmouth on the Wednesday night?
I know a couple of good places to go to around Exmouth though if you do end up staying there.

I stayed in Exmouth for 4 night break back late February and I'm staying in the same guest house.

You don't seem to be taking much advantage of the catering in First, and finishing by 7pm will affect that.
I'm with you on not doing overnights BTW - not since Mk1 SKs disappeared!

I'm not that fussed about railway food, as long as I get a cup of tea, even a biccy (biscuit) I'm fine.

Also now the light evenings are here, I can drop my bag off and have a wander around . I'm not sure what to do in Stockport, probably go back in to Manchester and ride some of the new Metrolnk routes.
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,351
Don't forget to check for any weekend engineering work on your proposed routes.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top