• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Person hit by train near Meadowhall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyesbkz

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2010
Messages
615
Location
Chesterfield
A person has been hit by a train near Meadowhall. Because of this, trains between Sheffield and Barnsley, between Sheffield and Leeds and between Sheffield and Doncaster are being delayed by up to 40 mintutes. These delays are expected to continue until approximately 23:00.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/sa00a47b57794033bdadd6611ce0b6e6/details.html

I wonder how serious this is, or what happened? For a 40 minute delay is it likely to be a fairly minor incident or worse?

I'm hoping nobody's been seriously injured or worse!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,673
someone jumped off P2 last year straight infront of a voyager, wasnt pretty i was on bridge on way to P4 at time...
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
Curiosity is human nature, isn't it?
I think cats have us beaten on that, especially as the phrase implies so many get killed because of it.

I do love that 'curiosity killed the cat' was the old way of saying 'Oi, nosey b**tard, what the f*** does this have to do with you?'
 

lyesbkz

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2010
Messages
615
Location
Chesterfield
It's one thing to be curious. It's another to post the question on an internet forum.

Perhaps I'm missing something. I simply assumed that if anyone knew anything about it then the one of the most likely places they'd be would be on here.

I really don't see any harm in asking, and it seems a bit insipid that you would reply purely to criticise somebody's curiosity.
 

S19

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
275
Perhaps I'm missing something. I simply assumed that if anyone knew anything about it then the one of the most likely places they'd be would be on here.

I really don't see any harm in asking, and it seems a bit insipid that you would reply purely to criticise somebody's curiosity.

Said person comes across as a negative person full stop on here. Don't worry about it, it's only the internet. Some people just fail to realise it.

I much preferred DCI Burnside.
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
Perhaps I'm missing something. I simply assumed that if anyone knew anything about it then the one of the most likely places they'd be would be on here.

I really don't see any harm in asking, and it seems a bit insipid that you would reply purely to criticise somebody's curiosity.

No harm - and the topic comes up frequently enough. Obviously thoughts to all concerned, but to those who have criticised it, the conclusion that we always come to is that this is why the forum exists. If you don't like it, don't read it, and if you can't help that, then bugger off.
 

Striker

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2010
Messages
503
Perhaps I'm missing something. I simply assumed that if anyone knew anything about it then the one of the most likely places they'd be would be on here.

I really don't see any harm in asking, and it seems a bit insipid that you would reply purely to criticise somebody's curiosity.


Somebody got hit by a train. You know that as you read it on the National Rail website. What more do you need to know? You ask "how serious is it?" Well, somebody got hit by a train and most likely died in a not very nice way. It's one thing to be curious but this is mawkish in the extreme. Do you slow down to look at accidents on the motorway? Do you look inside ambulances?


Said person comes across as a negative person full stop on here.

Come on then S19. Why do say that? Would you tell me that to my face or are you only like this when you're sat behind a keyboard?

No harm - and the topic comes up frequently enough. Obviously thoughts to all concerned, but to those who have criticised it, the conclusion that we always come to is that this is why the forum exists. If you don't like it, don't read it, and if you can't help that, then bugger off.

Well maybe if more people like me challenged people asking stupid and mawkish questions about people getting hit by trains it would stop. Maybe this topic shouldn't come up frequently. It's a bit sick to be honest and is just rubbernecking.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
(....and, whilst I'm safely 'sat behind a keyboard'....)

there are regular disruptions on the railways - the entire network is not at all resilient to any incident that presents a blockage. But that's just the way it is, partly due to the political and economic context in which UK rail has found itself for many decades.

However, there are differences in the impact of disruption, for example, there is weather-related disruption tonight which has closed the Highland mainline. (Busses are operating between Perth and Inverness). The impact on freight is unknown. Other incidents are 'resolved' swiftly and delays are reduced as the day progresses. Some cause long lasting closures such as the blockages last year at The Falls of Cruachan and Carrbridge (both in Scotland).
On the other hand, the interest in suicides is unhelpful to railway operators, but maybe to others.
(but I'd be horrifically terrified if I was to say any of this to some posters, person to person)
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
Well maybe if more people like me challenged people asking stupid and mawkish questions about people getting hit by trains it would stop. Maybe this topic shouldn't come up frequently. It's a bit sick to be honest and is just rubbernecking.

I think it was a fairly forgiveable question; the delay amounted to 40 mins. Thats certainly one of the smallest delays I've encountered caused by a one-under, and I would have questioned it.

Maybe if people like you accepted that until it is proven absolutely and indefensibly wrong to ask questions such as these by either the law or the local law (ie the admin on here) people have a right to ask or enquire, with suitable respect for those involved, and that you have the right and ability to decline comment on it rather than 'challenging' them.
 

Striker

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2010
Messages
503
I think it was a fairly forgiveable question; the delay amounted to 40 mins. Thats certainly one of the smallest delays I've encountered caused by a one-under, and I would have questioned it.

The 40 mins refers to the delays encountered by trains, not the length of time it's taken to clear things up. Maybe the trains are being diverted? It does say the delays will last up until 2300, which suggests it wasn't cleared up that quickly.
 

S19

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
275
Come on then S19. Why do say that? Would you tell me that to my face or are you only like this when you're sat behind a keyboard?

My post was quite tongue in cheek, hence the DCI Burnside comment at the end ;)

However, seeing as you asked.

Some of your posts on here are negative. I experienced it on one of my own threads :)

And yes I would tell it to your face (with a smile). Something along the lines of the following:

"Hey, don't be so negative. The poor lad/lass is only asking what they think is a valid question"

Not everyone is a font of knowledge like you obviously are, so maybe you need to give people some slack. After all, it's only the internet.
 

talltim

Established Member
Joined
17 Jan 2010
Messages
2,454
I would assume the delay is due to diversion via Rotherham Central and along the GC route to Woodburn Junction and the Nunnery curve into Sheffield Midland (from the North), i.e. trains were avoiding Meadowhall entirely. One day I'll get to travel on that bit of line
 

Striker

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2010
Messages
503
"Hey, don't be so negative. The poor lad/lass is only asking what they think is a valid question"

Yes, and I'm telling them it's not a valid question to ask what happened when somebody got hit by a train. What on Earth do they think happened? It's got nothing to do with them and is the equivalent of slowing down on the motorway to look at an accident.

Why does everybody have to be so nice to everybody else even when they're in the wrong? You can't just say "he was only asking a question". I know he was only asking a question. It's the question he was asking which is the problem. The fact that you can't see a problem with what he was asking makes you as mawkish has he is.
 

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
Yes, and I'm telling them it's not a valid question to ask what happened when somebody got hit by a train. What on Earth do they think happened? It's got nothing to do with them and is the equivalent of slowing down on the motorway to look at an accident.

Why does everybody have to be so nice to everybody else even when they're in the wrong? You can't just say "he was only asking a question". I know he was only asking a question. It's the question he was asking which is the problem. The fact that you can't see a problem with what he was asking makes you as mawkish has he is.



It is just your opinion though.
 

OMGitsDAVE

Member
Joined
12 Jun 2009
Messages
737
Location
Hartlepool, England, UK
Yes, and I'm telling them it's not a valid question to ask what happened when somebody got hit by a train. What on Earth do they think happened? It's got nothing to do with them and is the equivalent of slowing down on the motorway to look at an accident.

Oh come on, stop being so negative!
People are always curious, and people always ask questions - especially when and if they are caught up in the delay.
 

duffman82

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2010
Messages
244
Location
Wolverhampton/Liverpool
Oh come on, stop being so negative!
People are always curious, and people always ask questions - especially when and if they are caught up in the delay.

Agreed, i highly disagree if there was delay on the line people would go 'well i don't want to know what it is because I don't need to or its none of my business'
 
Last edited:

Striker

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2010
Messages
503
Agreed, i highly disagree if there was delay on the line people would go 'well i don't want to know what it is because I don't need to or its none of my business'

Oh FFS! I completely agree! But that isn't relevant here as he was told that the reason was someone being hit by a train!
 

talltim

Established Member
Joined
17 Jan 2010
Messages
2,454
You are ignoring the question asked. The OP was asking 'If someone has been killed why is there only a 40 minute delay?'
That isn't anything to do with being a virtual rubbernecker, its to do with their experience of railway operating procedure (that it takes a good while to re-open lines after fatal accidents) not fitting with the facts given to them.
 

Striker

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2010
Messages
503
You are ignoring the question asked. The OP was asking 'If someone has been killed why is there only a 40 minute delay?'
That isn't anything to do with being a virtual rubbernecker, its to do with their experience of railway operating procedure (that it takes a good while to re-open lines after fatal accidents) not fitting with the facts given to them.

Trains are being delayed upto 40 mins, which is most likely because they are being diverted. But that doesn't mean the incident has been cleared up in 40mins as it then goes on to say, "These delays are expected to continue until approximately 23:00".
 

talltim

Established Member
Joined
17 Jan 2010
Messages
2,454
Trains are being delayed upto 40 mins, which is most likely because they are being diverted. But that doesn't mean the incident has been cleared up in 40mins as it then goes on to say, "These delays are expected to continue until approximately 23:00".

Which is the answer the OP was looking for. Nothing prurient about that.
 

Mysterium

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2011
Messages
26
Things I've learnt today:

1) The word mawkish
2) The word prurient

Whilst I was consulting my dictionary to find out what these meant before adding them to my verbal armoury I looked at the phrase "over the top" and curiously it said "See Striker".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top