• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Person hit by train at Surbiton (07/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Just wait until November when the ORMs are gone, you'll look back with fond nostalgia at how things are at the moment!
What does ORM stand for? I it Operating Resource Manager. What do they do and how will it be dealt with without them?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2014
Messages
2,544
Not quite right.

Operations Resource Manager formerly known as the TCS (Train Crew Supervisor), they deal with train crewing issues, such as being late for work, sickness, cross covering, utilisation of spare crews, cover crews and so on.

Their job is to cover all of the work that the CRO (Centralised Rostering Office) may have missed or couldn't cover, so that the service runs. However as I and many others have found out, that when the brown stuff hits the high speed rotating ventilation device like it did yesterday and you can't get through to them on the phone or directly in their office, people wait & wait until such time as they give up & go, especially when they've done their hours & the obligatory 30' overtime and I for one won't do any for them especially if I've been up since 0245!

No one's going to thank you for screwing the job up if you're exhausted and add to the problems.

The problem they're going to have centralising everything to two locations which are Southampton & Waterloo is that you'll lose the all important local touch & local knowledge and knowhow.

If I say something to a Waterloo ORM about something on the Alton line or Ascot branch, they wouldn't have a clue what I'm on about, yet if I say the same thing to a Woking ORM, they'll know exactly what I'm talking about and be able to deal with it far quicker.
 
Last edited:

FordFocus

Member
Joined
15 Apr 2015
Messages
918
To be fair to TCS/ORM/Whatevername their workload increases 500% depending on the scale of problems so are always on the phone.

Especially when missed PNBs, limited route knowledge and other things that will cock up a nicely laid out plan they had.

I have sympathy with some of them.
 

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2014
Messages
2,544
To be fair to TCS/ORM/Whatevername their workload increases 500% depending on the scale of problems so are always on the phone.

Especially when missed PNBs, limited route knowledge and other things that will cock up a nicely laid out plan they had.

I have sympathy with some of them.

Too right, but centralising them isn't the solution, it'll just add to the problem.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,362
Location
Yorkshire
Four trespass incidents in a short space of time sounds a lot, especially in the well-to-do areas of Surrey and Hampshire. Was this due to people getting fed up and deciding to walk down the tracks I wonder?
 

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2008
Messages
2,362
Location
Portsmouth
I wouldn't do their job, it's a thankless task and they are very knowledgeable people. Even when the going is good they still have to deal with the roster police and other petty nonsense!
 

theironroad

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
3,717
Ah, so that is where Mr Neill has gone to. Maybe that's why there are new ties around... Lol

I have sympathy for some individual orms, but while eventually having all the people in the same room is a good idea, you still need enough people and the gods of efficiency don't like the shoestring to be too long...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top