• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Permitted routes Thirsk - South Milford

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,072
Location
Selby
I want to go to Sherburn in Elmet (don't ask why!). Of course for this from Thirsk the cheapest way is a Thirsk-Sherburn in Elmet through ticket. But the early last train from SIE is putting me off. Instead I plan to walk from South Milford into Sherburn, given the short distance and much more frequent services from this station.

They both share the 'York' routeing point in common so maps aren't going to help.
I have tried calculating the permitted routes and think I have found the only two:

Thirsk-York-Micklefield-South Milford appears to be the shortest route with a regular service.
Thirsk-York-Selby-South Milford appears to be permitted by the 3 mile rule, which would make sense as it is also a very reasonable route.

WebTIS suggests on occasion simply changing at Leeds, which would be easier but I cannot find an easement that would allow me to double back in this manner, only for stations West of Selby does it there appear to be such an easement. Are there any more permitted routes? I take it Leeds is not permitted? I would understand why if it wasn't. Or I could just catch a bus from Garforth... Given that I still have a railcard a THI-LDS ticket with PlusBus might seem more sensible and would avoid the need for walking.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oscar

Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
11 Feb 2010
Messages
1,152
Location
Switzerland
You are allowed to travel via Leeds due to the Group Stations rule. This states that you can double back within the Routeing Group for interchange purposes. Micklefield is in Leeds Group.
 

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,072
Location
Selby
Thankyou, wasn't sure whether the group stations rule applied but obviously it does.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top