• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Permitted routes - Heaton Chapel to Sheffield

Status
Not open for further replies.

RikGarner

Member
Joined
18 Apr 2018
Messages
12
I am going to be travelling fairly frequently between Heaton Chapel and Sheffield this year. The obvious route, and the one the ticket engines show, is via Stockport, but I'm wondering if the slow route via Marple is a permited route? I have tried to understand the routeing guide and I think it is but I'd like confirmation.

I'm thinking I'd use this as a contingency to get back if Transpennine fast service is cancelled, I could even potentially get off at Reddish North and get a taxi home at a push.

I have a DIS Railcard and would be traveling to Sheffield leaving 08:15 from HTC. Return is less time sensitive but around 17:30
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,306
I can get itineraries to show on NRE, changing at both Manchester Piccadilly or Stockport, on a (through) route "Any Permitted" Heaton Chapel -> Sheffield ticket. You shouldn't have to board/alight at Reddish North, unless that's more convenient for you.

Any of the fares experts able to confirm that the routes via Reddish North / Stockport are both equally valid. And are any other routes also valid, such as via Hyde Central?
 

4COR

Member
Joined
30 Jan 2019
Messages
890
Location
W Oxon (UWL exile)
I can get itineraries to show on NRE, changing at both Manchester Piccadilly or Stockport, on a (through) route "Any Permitted" Heaton Chapel -> Sheffield ticket. You shouldn't have to board/alight at Reddish North, unless that's more convenient for you.

Any of the fares experts able to confirm that the routes via Reddish North / Stockport are both equally valid. And are any other routes also valid, such as via Hyde Central?
In terms of valid routing points, for an Any Permitted route (not sure there any other routes...) you have either Manchester or Stockport to choose from for the start. Sheffield is a routing point, so there's no alternative there.

Using Stockport gives map HO allowing Stockport-Hazel Grove-Chinley-Sheffield - this is the shortest route as well I think.

Using Manchester gives map PR with routes again via Stockport, via Reddish North and also via Guide Bridge/Hyde Central.
 
Last edited:

plugwash

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2015
Messages
1,996
All the through tickets are routed any permitted.

I suspect there is some money to be saved on the stopper by split ticketing though.
 

4COR

Member
Joined
30 Jan 2019
Messages
890
Location
W Oxon (UWL exile)
Grindleford saves a bit, but at the expense of a journey taking an hour longer as it needs to stop there (unless at least one ticket is a season).
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,306
Grindleford saves a bit, but at the expense of a journey taking an hour longer as it needs to stop there (unless at least one ticket is a season).
Or, is a zonal ticket, such as a GM Wayfarer.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
If the OP waits until after 0830 - then that's when the Off Peak ticket becomes valid.


Route
ANY PERMITTED​
Validity
1DYOUT 1MTHRTN​
Adult DSB
£22.15​
Child CHDSB
£16.80​
◊​
​
​
Fare Setter: TRANSPENNINE EXPRESS​
Route
ANY PERMITTED​
Validity
AS ADVERTISED
Restrictions
TO NOT VALID BEFORE 0830 MON-FRI​
Adult DSB
£16.35​
Child CHDSB
£12.40​
◊​
​
​
Outward & Return:​
NOT VALID BEFORE 0830 MONDAY-FRIDAY.​
Fare Setter: TRANSPENNINE EXPRESS​
 

4COR

Member
Joined
30 Jan 2019
Messages
890
Location
W Oxon (UWL exile)
Unfortunately looks like that delays the arrival by an hour though. :-/

EDIT: for clarity - this is the Off-Peak ticket, not the GM Wayfarer, which is valid post 930am.
 
Last edited:

RikGarner

Member
Joined
18 Apr 2018
Messages
12
Thank you for your posts everyone. I hadn't clocked the route via Hyde Central. Seems odd that there's three different routes possible. I'll have to try them all out over the summer
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top