• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Permitted routes from Romsey to Ewell West

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me whether traveling via Brighton with a 'not London' routed ticket from Romsey to Ewell West is a valid route or not? I'm asking this because I've never had the chance to cover the Brighton Main Line south of East Croydon, and as I'll be traveling to Ewell West this Saturday I'd like to cover the BML if at all possible.

Thanks,

Tom
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me whether traveling via Brighton with a 'not London' routed ticket from Romsey to Ewell West is a valid route or not? I'm asking this because I've never had the chance to cover the Brighton Main Line south of East Croydon, and as I'll be traveling to Ewell West this Saturday I'd like to cover the BML if at all possible.

Thanks,

Tom

There's a fare from Southampton Central route Barnham that covers that journey but not from Romsey or Eastleigh

It's considerably cheaper than the 'not London' fare - less than half price* - so worth a trip to Southampton (or Fareham) to pick it up

*£14.90 single £15 day return or £22 1 month return - all off peak

I can't force the journey planner to show that routing on a not London ticket - not sure what the routing guide says about it.
 
Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,493
Location
Yorkshire
The shortest route is permitted (including routes up to 3 miles longer).

For mapped routes, you must consult the Routeing Guide (RG).

The RG can be found here:

http://www.atoc.org/about-atoc/rail-settlement-plan/routeing-guide

To determine appropriate Routeing Points (RPs) we must look up Romsey and Ewell West here:

http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/routeing_point_identifier.pdf (pink pages)

Ewell west is associated with two RPs: Epsom and Sutton London, and Romsey is associated with three RPs: Eastleigh, Salisbury and Southampton Group

You will need to carry out the Fares Check Rule to determine which of these RPs is appropriate. If you get stuck or have any questions doing this, please don't hesitate to reply to this topic and I am sure one of us will be able to assist.

Once you have done that, you can find mapped routes using the 'yellow pages':

http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/permitted_route_identifier.pdf

The maps can be found here:

http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/Maps.pdf
 

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
this one is a bit complicated!

I think Sutton & Southampton are appropriate routeing points.

Using maps via London (remember that route 'London' and 'Not London' are not mutually exclusive!)
SC then CW+LB gives Sutton to Croydon to Brighton to Southampton.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,493
Location
Yorkshire
this one is a bit complicated!

I think Sutton & Southampton are appropriate routeing points
I agree.
RG said:
All fares comparisons must be made using one of the following single ticket types:
• Standard Open Single (SOS)
• Standard Day Single (SDS)
• Saver Single (SVS)
• Cheap Day Single (CDS)
Interestingly the SDS fails the fare check rule (by 10p :roll:)
But the CDS passes the fare check rule.

So I share your conclusion that Sutton is an appropriate RP.
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Ewell west is associated with two RPs: Epsom and Sutton London, and Romsey is associated with three RPs: Eastleigh, Salisbury and Southampton Group

Don't like to throw a spanner in the works but is Ewell West not associated with Epsom, Kingston, Surbiton and Wimbledon?
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,493
Location
Yorkshire
Don't like to throw a spanner in the works but is Ewell West not associated with Epsom, Kingston, Surbiton and Wimbledon?
Sorry, yes, I was looking at the row for Ewell East! :oops:

(Can someone please develop some simple software, where you enter a station name and it then tells you the associated RPs, without having to faff around with PDF files? ;))
 

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
Don't like to throw a spanner in the works but is Ewell West not associated with Epsom, Kingston, Surbiton and Wimbledon?

Yes - Epsom and Sutton is for Ewell East; I just assumed yorkie was right!
I'll now check the rest....

ok...via Epsom, Croydon etc. is the same as before
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Sorry, yes, I was looking at the row for Ewell East! :oops:
)

I'm beginning to think this probably wasnt a good example to go through while learning how this all works! I think my head is in danger of exploding!
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
(Can someone please develop some simple software, where you enter a station name and it then tells you the associated RPs, without having to faff around with PDF files? ;))

Could do, as long as (a) there was someone to key all the stations in to start with or parse the PDF and (b) there was someone to confirm to me that it's not a violation of ATOC's database rights.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
(Can someone please develop some simple software, where you enter a station name and it then tells you the associated RPs, without having to faff around with PDF files? ;))
What? You mean how the Electronic National Routeing Guide used to appear on the Atoc website? ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top