• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Permit To Travel Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelR

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2024
Messages
7
Location
South Norfolk
This is a very odd question, however I was watching a TV Program, about say 5 years ago. The program was from the mid 2010s. I believe about LNER and King's Cross.

I believe the segment was about a child/teenager who got split up with their parents, who had the ticket for the child. (It may have been an adult I can't remember)

Platform/Station staff then gave the passenger a sign. I can't remember what it looked like or what it said, but I think it was an A4 piece of paper or something that essentially told the guard they could travel free.

Does anyone know what this sign was? I'm trying to remember but sadly can't.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,538
Location
LBK
That sounds like an Authority to Travel.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,781
That sounds like an Authority to Travel.
It does indeed. The only thing about it that sounds odd to me is it being A4 in size. The things we issued when I was at King's Cross were more like A6.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,538
Location
LBK
It does indeed. The only thing about it that sounds odd to me is it being A4 in size. The things we issued when I was at King's Cross were more like A6.
It may have been faxed or emailed from Customer Relations perhaps? Both Virgin WC and XC's ATTs were like this, if they had been agreed somewhere other than a station.
 

MichaelR

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2024
Messages
7
Location
South Norfolk
Definitely wasn't A6, as it was extremely large and I remember them holding it in 2 hands I'm pretty sure. I'd try and find the video, but I'd need to first remember the series and then the episode lol
 

1955LR

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2019
Messages
297
Location
Hereford
I was on TFW train at Hereford a couple of years ago and the couple opposite me had a Authority to Travel due to some delays, issued at Shrewsbury, on A4 paper.
 

MichaelR

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2024
Messages
7
Location
South Norfolk
I'm a very daft person.

It was partly true, a man had lost hid pregnant wife on the train, and was panicking. Platform staff sorted it out and got him on the next train.

It turns out, it was a 91 Virgin service with MK3 Carriages, and the A4 Piece ot paper she was holding was the destination signs they put on every carriage door

I knew I remembered something like that, but didn't realise it was a compelled different thing haha

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I'm a very daft person.

It was partly true, a man had lost hid pregnant wife on the train, and was panicking. Platform staff sorted it out and got him on the next train.

It turns out, it was a 91 Virgin service with MK3 Carriages, and the A4 Piece ot paper she was holding was the destination signs they put on every carriage door

I knew I remembered something like that, but didn't realise it was a compelled different thing haha
It was Was from 2017, episode 3 of Inside Kings Cross: The Railway, towards the start.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top