• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

People in flourescent jackets at WY stations checking tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
3,048
Yesterday at Saltaire station I boarded a train to Leeds, as I got on a couple of people in flourescent jackets got off and with what appeared to be a sort of tablet computer round their neck stood at the platform and asked alighting passengers for tickets to be shown.

At Castleford station this morning a similar thing.

Are they revenue protection or survey staff? Usually the survey staff are wearing Metro uniform and do their survey on the trains.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,416
Location
S Yorks, usually
The fluorescent jackets with tablets were out in S Yorks too earlier this week. Some sort of revenue protection contractors, quite reluctant to show any proper ID to confirm they were entitled to ask for my ticket, but full of "it's a legal requirement" stuff.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
Yes, its a legal requirement for them to show ID if requested when asking to see your ticket, under the Railway Byelaws
 

johntea

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
3,048
Couple of the same team at the exit of Shipley P1 this lunch time wearing different clothing!
 

Anvil1984

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2010
Messages
1,513
IIRC Northern are doing ticketless travel surveys through an agency at present. They wont take details but basically just get reasons why passengers aren't buying tickets (or something like that)
 

Squaddie

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2009
Messages
1,072
Location
London
They wont take details but basically just get reasons why passengers aren't buying tickets (or something like that)
  1. I was running late
  2. I've only come one stop
  3. The guard didn't offer to sell me one
  4. I always buy a ticket at my destination
  5. I didn't realise my season ticket had expired (three months ago)
  6. I can't afford to buy tickets
  7. I got PFd yesterday so why should I have to pay today?
  8. I wasn't feeling well
  9. I didn't know I needed a ticket
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Got to have some form of formal ID to be there.

Sounds like the same on-the-cheap contracting like when they hired 'Trainpeople' in.

Sort of behaviour from Northern almost invites any old crook and his dog to turn up in a Hi-Viz and randomly demand money.

Oooh....that's a good idea.... err... :P
 

johntea

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
3,048
Imagine my surprise to find they were still about on a dark wet evening at 8:30pm at Castleford station!

Rather intimidating to randomly get asked for your ticket by a stranger, indeed some people flat out refused!

A rather poor survey exercise by Northern if you ask me!
 
Joined
30 Nov 2012
Messages
370
Location
UK
Do Northern contract out everything with regards to ticket inspections?

On another point, surely taking details and going through the proceedings would provide a better deterrent to ticketless travel than simply listing excuses?
 
Last edited:

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
  1. I was running late
  2. I've only come one stop
  3. The guard didn't offer to sell me one
  4. I always buy a ticket at my destination
  5. I didn't realise my season ticket had expired (three months ago)
  6. I can't afford to buy tickets
  7. I got PFd yesterday so why should I have to pay today?
  8. I wasn't feeling well
  9. I didn't know I needed a ticket

You forgot one - "The man on the platform said I could get on without one" :D (otherwise, I think you covered most of them - I've never had the PF one, though!)
 
Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
You forgot one - "The man on the platform said I could get on without one" :D (otherwise, I think you covered most of them - I've never had the PF one, though!)

Is that because FGW RPIs are never about? <D
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
Is that because FGW RPIs are never about? <D

It depends - the west are quite active. The ones in London are like the Loch Ness monster - everybody has heard of them, but very rarely seen..
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
That might be a code of practice, but it is not the law, unlike with railway staff who need to produce one on request.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,849
Location
Epsom
It is, however, a requirement of the railway that all non-staff working visitors must display recognisable ID though isn't it?
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
To the extent it is, it's an internal matter for the railway and not for the customer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top