Tribute Ale
The trip started with a lovely Tribute Ale served by a friendly host in the Lounge Car of the Night Riviera Sleeper from Penzance to Belfast, well more accurately to London Paddington, I may have dreamt that it was direct to Stranraer!
Complementary Coffee and Scottish shortbread followed before I retired to my Solo berth for the Night. Cost £79 to Paddington including the berth (slp Adv Sol). Had a decent sleep although I did stir a few times during the night when my brain tried to explain the train noises, I almost got up to check the central heating of my house when I heard a hissing noise!
Free coffee and a mini bacon roll were very welcome & I hopped off the sleeper in seach of some free showers, I could have stayed on board to 7am but wanted to get an early Virgin train from Euston.
Following an adventure from platform one to fourteen and back I discovered the showers didn't open until 7am, despite advice to the contary. Hammersmith & City tube to Euston Square and a short walk took me to Euston. The shower search failed again as the Virgin lounge didn't open until 7am and I suspect that being a first great western sleeper custome r and Scotrail advance card holder would not have gained me access anyway. I setted for a good wash on the Virgin train.
Another quick coffee & croissant at Euston and boarded the 7.30am Virgin to Glasgow. Sail rail anytime return to Belfast NI, so the single journey including ferry only cost me £52 including tube across London.
Enjoyed the Virgin experience tilting and all that lovely scenery though the Lakes and Scottish hills. Pay the extra £15 1st class upgrade if you are travelling at the weekend it is well worth it for the 4 1/2 hour journey, including light refreshments.
Arrived Glasgow Central and lunched at "the Bier Halle: takes its inspiration from eastern European beer halls ... 9 Gordon Street, Glasgow." around 5 minutes walk from Central. You go down stairs to a dark basement full of character and activity. Better value if there is 2 of you owing to their 2 for 1 offers, but you could take a 2nd Pizza away for later if you wanted. Great choice of Pizzas and I tried an American beer this time, but lots of choice available.
Checked out Glasgow Queen street before going on to Ayr from Central. Excellent modern electric trains. Walked around Ayr before boarding the Sealink coach from Ayr Station around the lovely Scottish coast to Cairnryan. Shortly after arriving we boarded the Ferry due to depart at 7.30pm and I upgraded port side for £12 to Stena Plus lounge, £18 on the ferry so buy in advance. Free wine, nibbles, crisps, coke, olives, nuts, news papers & magazines etc. The "Super fast ferries are very good and the Stena lounge is only necessary if the boat is busy or you like the at seat meal service. I had a good steak for a reasonable price.
Arrived Belfast at 9.40pm on schedule, a super journey and great value for £131 including a bed for the night on the sleeper.
I did allow lots of time for various connection, all the trains ran to time but it avoided the stress of running for connections when the last ferry is 7.30pm! I did smile at the Welcome to Belfast signs that explained the bus connections to cental Belfast. The last one was around 6pm, I was getting a lift but could have easily caught a taxi. Strange that one of the most popular sailing does not have a bus connection.
Another tip if you get bored booking the Sail rail on line, Scotrail internet (2nd page, as it doesn't work on the initial journey planner) or Telesales is probably best, just buy the ticket with the Ferry reservation you require. Then book the train reservations that you want separately, the return ticket is an anytime return or the single is an anytime day ticket.
Altogether a great trip excellent value for money and highly recommeded, I had sunny weather thoughout even in N.Ireland which made it even better. Also the race for life was on in Penzance that evening so it was move lively that usual, but there are several pubs and restaurants near the station, try the local ice cream it is good. Boarding in Penzance starts at 9.15 and the sleeper leaves 9.45pm
The trip started with a lovely Tribute Ale served by a friendly host in the Lounge Car of the Night Riviera Sleeper from Penzance to Belfast, well more accurately to London Paddington, I may have dreamt that it was direct to Stranraer!
Complementary Coffee and Scottish shortbread followed before I retired to my Solo berth for the Night. Cost £79 to Paddington including the berth (slp Adv Sol). Had a decent sleep although I did stir a few times during the night when my brain tried to explain the train noises, I almost got up to check the central heating of my house when I heard a hissing noise!
Free coffee and a mini bacon roll were very welcome & I hopped off the sleeper in seach of some free showers, I could have stayed on board to 7am but wanted to get an early Virgin train from Euston.
Following an adventure from platform one to fourteen and back I discovered the showers didn't open until 7am, despite advice to the contary. Hammersmith & City tube to Euston Square and a short walk took me to Euston. The shower search failed again as the Virgin lounge didn't open until 7am and I suspect that being a first great western sleeper custome r and Scotrail advance card holder would not have gained me access anyway. I setted for a good wash on the Virgin train.
Another quick coffee & croissant at Euston and boarded the 7.30am Virgin to Glasgow. Sail rail anytime return to Belfast NI, so the single journey including ferry only cost me £52 including tube across London.
Enjoyed the Virgin experience tilting and all that lovely scenery though the Lakes and Scottish hills. Pay the extra £15 1st class upgrade if you are travelling at the weekend it is well worth it for the 4 1/2 hour journey, including light refreshments.
Arrived Glasgow Central and lunched at "the Bier Halle: takes its inspiration from eastern European beer halls ... 9 Gordon Street, Glasgow." around 5 minutes walk from Central. You go down stairs to a dark basement full of character and activity. Better value if there is 2 of you owing to their 2 for 1 offers, but you could take a 2nd Pizza away for later if you wanted. Great choice of Pizzas and I tried an American beer this time, but lots of choice available.
Checked out Glasgow Queen street before going on to Ayr from Central. Excellent modern electric trains. Walked around Ayr before boarding the Sealink coach from Ayr Station around the lovely Scottish coast to Cairnryan. Shortly after arriving we boarded the Ferry due to depart at 7.30pm and I upgraded port side for £12 to Stena Plus lounge, £18 on the ferry so buy in advance. Free wine, nibbles, crisps, coke, olives, nuts, news papers & magazines etc. The "Super fast ferries are very good and the Stena lounge is only necessary if the boat is busy or you like the at seat meal service. I had a good steak for a reasonable price.
Arrived Belfast at 9.40pm on schedule, a super journey and great value for £131 including a bed for the night on the sleeper.
I did allow lots of time for various connection, all the trains ran to time but it avoided the stress of running for connections when the last ferry is 7.30pm! I did smile at the Welcome to Belfast signs that explained the bus connections to cental Belfast. The last one was around 6pm, I was getting a lift but could have easily caught a taxi. Strange that one of the most popular sailing does not have a bus connection.
Another tip if you get bored booking the Sail rail on line, Scotrail internet (2nd page, as it doesn't work on the initial journey planner) or Telesales is probably best, just buy the ticket with the Ferry reservation you require. Then book the train reservations that you want separately, the return ticket is an anytime return or the single is an anytime day ticket.
Altogether a great trip excellent value for money and highly recommeded, I had sunny weather thoughout even in N.Ireland which made it even better. Also the race for life was on in Penzance that evening so it was move lively that usual, but there are several pubs and restaurants near the station, try the local ice cream it is good. Boarding in Penzance starts at 9.15 and the sleeper leaves 9.45pm