• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penzance to Barnsley 28/7/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
A friend has asked me for some fare advise for Penzance to Barnsley 28/7/14
Needs to travel on the 0828 from Penzance to Sheffield ideally and then an appropriate connection from Sheffield to Barnsley.

Friend needs to be in Barnsley by around 1700 latest.

I'm drawing blanks and cant beat the £169 anytime single straight through fare.
No obscure ticketing as she doesn't know or understanding ticketing and wouldn't have a clue if challenged.
Prefer not to have advances as she is working overnight prior to travel and potentially may be delayed

I've just discovered she is 23, so may suggest a 16-25 railcard as a decent investment at £30.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
Penzance to St Erth 7DS £10
St Erth to St Austell SDS £12.60
St Austell to Plymouth CDS £9.60
Plymouth to Taunton CDS £17.90
Taunton to Parson Street SDS £12.10
Parson Street to Bromsgrove CDS Not via Birmingham £12.60
Bromsgrove to Water Orton SDS £7.80
Water Orton to Tamworth CDS £5.10
Tamworth to Willington CDS Not via Birmingham £7.10
Willington to Chapeltown Yorks CDS £11
Chapeltown Yorks to Barnsley SDS £3.30

Total £109.10 but a tremendous amount of faff, given the number of tickets I may have screwed up one of the validities, and rereading your post I see "no obscure ticketing", so I'm guessing a 19 (c) is out of the question...
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
Penzance to St Erth 7DS £10
St Erth to St Austell SDS £12.60
St Austell to Plymouth CDS £9.60
Plymouth to Taunton CDS £17.90
Taunton to Parson Street SDS £12.10
Parson Street to Bromsgrove CDS Not via Birmingham £12.60
Bromsgrove to Water Orton SDS £7.80
Water Orton to Tamworth CDS £5.10
Tamworth to Willington CDS Not via Birmingham £7.10
Willington to Chapeltown Yorks CDS £11
Chapeltown Yorks to Barnsley SDS £3.30

Total £109.10 but a tremendous amount of faff, given the number of tickets I may have screwed up one of the validities, and rereading your post I see "no obscure ticketing", so I'm guessing a 19 (c) is out of the question...

Thanks, maybe a little too much faff for a novice. I'd be happy but as she doesn't normally travel I think this may be too much faff.
This has highlighted something new about 19 (c) to me, I didn't realise the Penzance to St Erth 7DS would make 19 (c) valid for a later split (Parson Street for example)
 
Last edited:

Jdrowlands

Member
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
182
A search on the very handy split.traintimes.org.uk gives a total price of of £108.50 for travelling on the 08:28 from Penzance to Sheffield and then onto Barnsley. Unlike the combination posted above it doesn't utilise condition 19(c) - just an excessive amount of splits at stations where the train stops - and so your friend is unlikely be challenged. She might get some funny looks if buying at a station though!

http://split.traintimes.org.uk/PNZ/BNY/s/08:00
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
A search on the very handy split.traintimes.org.uk gives a total price of of £108.50 for travelling on the 08:28 from Penzance to Sheffield and then onto Barnsley. Unlike the combination posted above it doesn't utilise condition 19(c) - just an excessive amount of splits at stations where the train stops - and so your friend is unlikely be challenged. She might get some funny looks if buying at a station though!

http://split.traintimes.org.uk/PNZ/BNY/s/08:00

Thanks, that looks better :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top