• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pendolinos/Supervoyagers only tilting trains in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshrowlands

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2014
Messages
102
Location
Stoke on Trent
Hi guys I was just wondering are the class 390 pendolino's and super voyagers the only tilting trains in the UK?

I know about the APT's history so I aren't counting that I'm just simply wondering are Pendo's and voyagers the only tilting trains in the UK? If not can someone tell me about anymore in the UK? Details would be great too guys thanks :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
The Pendolinos and Virgin's Class 221 Voyagers are the only tilting trains currently in use in the UK. The Class 221 Voyagers operated by Cross Country used to tilt, but that facility is no longer available for them.
 

Joshrowlands

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2014
Messages
102
Location
Stoke on Trent
The Pendolinos and Virgin's Class 221 Voyagers are the only tilting trains currently in use in the UK. The Class 221 Voyagers operated by Cross Country used to tilt, but that facility is no longer available for them.
Yeah I read cross country trains removed the tilting eqipment from their 221's to reduce mantinence costs, which is sad really because I think the UK needs more tilting trains it seems like we are so behind in rail technology when once we had the best rail network in the world. Thank you for answering me :)
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,947
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Hi guys I was just wondering are the class 390 pendolino's and super voyagers the only tilting trains in the UK?

I know about the APT's history so I aren't counting that I'm just simply wondering are Pendo's and voyagers the only tilting trains in the UK? If not can someone tell me about anymore in the UK? Details would be great too guys thanks :)


Yes, pretty much.
All 390s and 221s were built with tilt.
They all use Alstom's TASS control system which is fitted on the WCML and allows Enhanced Permitted Speeds up to 125mph.
Otherwise the WCML is limited to 110mph, even if trains are passed for 125mph (eg HSTs or 91/Mk4).
I forget the exact numbers but I think Pendolinos can tilt up to 9 degrees, and Voyagers to 6 degrees.
As a result, there are some WCML locations where there are different speed profiles for 390s and 221s, with 390s being able to run at a higher speed.

There are a number of well-known "maximum tilt" locations which can be fun to experience at 125mph.
Northwards from Euston some of them are: Berkhamsted, Linslade, Wolverton, Weedon, south/north of Rugby, Lichfield, Norton Bridge and Whitmore.
Also the whole line from Oxenholme to Penrith and in the upper Clyde valley.

After Arriva XC split off from Virgin XC in 2006, they isolated tilt on their 221s as not being needed on their routes.
So of the 44 sets, Virgin's 20 sets (221 001-118, 142/3) still tilt, Arriva's sets don't.

Mark 4 sets used on the ECML were built to a tilt profile (inward sloping bodyshell), so that they could be retrofitted to tilt if required - but they weren't.

There is still a divide on how important tilt is.
Tilt on lines other than the WCML is routinely ignored in route/rolling stock plans.
For instance sections of the MML, ECML and GWML, and winding routes like Transpennine could benefit from tilting stock but there are no plans to use it.
The spec for the IEP train specifically excluded it.
So the 390/221 are likely to remain the only tilting stock in the UK.
Even that might not last beyond the start of HS2 services, which will take over from most of the routes which currently use it.

Pendolinos are built by Alstom in Italy from a Fiat design, and similar Pendolino designs are in use in several European countries (it, ch, cz, pl, fi etc).
The design uses technology originally developed by BR for the APT.
I'm not sure of the origin of Bombardier's 221 design (built in Brugge) or if it is used elsewhere.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top