• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Penalty Services"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robboman99

New Member
Joined
24 Oct 2024
Messages
1
Location
stoke
I have recently experienced this body, Penalty Services, on the rail network.
Obviously after going through their appeal process, including the alleged ''independent'' third appeal, I had to pay the fines imposed.
I tried going further and communicating with the Rail Company whos network I had been travelling on. They infact agreed with my submitted details and recommended that the penalty be overturned, however Penalty Services ignored this.
This attitude was clear from the very minute we had been approached by two Penalty Services staff.
They did not listen, they bundled on with issuing fines.
They submitted two different fines for the same details. eg place of issue, times etc. when issuing a fine to each of myself and partner.
To reiterate the blind approach, I witness a far more serious offence on a Cross Country journey.
The member of staff from Cross Country dealt with the issue professionally, explained different aspects, gave the person a chance to rectify the problem, despite the ultimate decision was to apply a fine, but only a full price ticket charge from where the person had commenced his journey.
I spoke to the Cross Country employee and congratulated him on his professionalism.
Viewing this directly myself only confirmed that Penalty Services do not operate with any reasonable processes, do not take into account all circumstantial evidence and overall operate completely separate of the companies they are meant to be assisting.
I have tried to pursue who regulates this body, but so far no-one such as Department of Transport etc. are taking any responsibility.
Question being - who does regulate them.
They definitely need reviewing.
Interested in any comments.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

choo.choo

Member
Joined
17 May 2022
Messages
55
Location
UK
You need to give some details on the incident(s) that actually occurred if you want thoughts on them.

They submitted two different fines for the same details. eg place of issue, times etc. when issuing a fine to each of myself and partner.
If two passengers are travelling without valid tickets, that would result in two fines. Are you suggesting that you both be given a single fine to share?
 

RPI

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2010
Messages
3,363
More context required, Crosscountry don't operate a Penalty Fares scheme, what "fines" are involved? Only a court can issue a "Fine*"

*I know this has come up elsewhere and done to death in other threads.
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,133
I'd suggest that as well as giving us precise details of what happened you would have to include any correspondence (suitably redacted to anonymise it) for us to make any informed comment.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,840
To reiterate the blind approach, I witness a far more serious offence on a Cross Country journey.
The member of staff from Cross Country dealt with the issue professionally, explained different aspects, gave the person a chance to rectify the problem, despite the ultimate decision was to apply a fine, but only a full price ticket charge from where the person had commenced his journey.
I spoke to the Cross Country employee and congratulated him on his professionalism.
It's good that you were impressed but an incident on one train company has no bearing on what the correct resolution for a different offence on the service of a different train operator might be.
from the very minute we had been approached by two Penalty Services staff.
It is highly unlikely that you were approached by staff employed by Penalty Services. They were either train company staff or staff from another contractor (although most contractors cannot issue Penalty Fares).
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,658
Location
LBK
For a start CrossCountry aren’t a Penalty Fares operator.
 

Cantab26

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2016
Messages
1,948
I have recently experienced this body, Penalty Services, on the rail network.
Obviously after going through their appeal process, including the alleged ''independent'' third appeal, I had to pay the fines imposed.
I tried going further and communicating with the Rail Company whos network I had been travelling on. They infact agreed with my submitted details and recommended that the penalty be overturned, however Penalty Services ignored this.
This attitude was clear from the very minute we had been approached by two Penalty Services staff.
They did not listen, they bundled on with issuing fines.
They submitted two different fines for the same details. eg place of issue, times etc. when issuing a fine to each of myself and partner.
To reiterate the blind approach, I witness a far more serious offence on a Cross Country journey.
The member of staff from Cross Country dealt with the issue professionally, explained different aspects, gave the person a chance to rectify the problem, despite the ultimate decision was to apply a fine, but only a full price ticket charge from where the person had commenced his journey.
I spoke to the Cross Country employee and congratulated him on his professionalism.
Viewing this directly myself only confirmed that Penalty Services do not operate with any reasonable processes, do not take into account all circumstantial evidence and overall operate completely separate of the companies they are meant to be assisting.
I have tried to pursue who regulates this body, but so far no-one such as Department of Transport etc. are taking any responsibility.
Question being - who does regulate them.
They definitely need reviewing.
Interested in any comments.
Did you have a valid ticket before you boarded the train?

If not, why not?
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,140
If the 'fine' has been paid, and the appeals process exhausted, is there any further appeal that can be made? Clearly we need to know the facts, but if a miscarriage has been made, what solutions are available?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top