• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penalty notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjb72

New Member
Joined
4 Feb 2025
Messages
3
Location
United Kingdom
I’m new to all of this so this is my first post.
I have been stopped by a ticket inspector in Birmingham new street and was asked to provide a rail card. I have not got a railcard and never have. I explained that it must have been on there by mistake and that is no excuse so I was more than happy to comply with what followed.
I knew that these actions would have a consequence. The ticket inspector was really helpful and was kind when explaining how I would be fined. I was issued a penalty fare (£100) however I payed 1 hour later (£50). The ticket inspector explained that if I just payed the penalty fare and don’t do something like this again I won’t get prosecuted and nothing will come from all of this as I have payed the fare.
I just want to make sure that this is the case and that because I have payed the penalty fare I won’t be investigated etc and that I can leave this slip up in the past and move on.
Any help would be much appreciated
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,813
Paying the penalty fare does mean nothing more can come of that particular incident.

However, if you’ve been buying your tickets electronically it’s very likely they will check your past purchasing history and if there are more railcard discounted tickets they’ll likely be in touch with you about them
 

cjb72

New Member
Joined
4 Feb 2025
Messages
3
Location
United Kingdom
I did say that to the ticket inspector at the time that there will probably be more tickets on there with a railcard. I was completely honest with him throughout and he told me not to panic. He said as long as I pay the penalty fare and do not repeat this I will not be contacted

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

And to add to that he didn’t hand me and MG11 nor did he ask for any further details besides my name and address (standard procedure).
And yes I buy all my tickets through the Trainline app
 

oliveyoutwo

On Moderation
Joined
30 Jan 2025
Messages
8
in your first post you said that the railcard "must have been on there by mistake", however you contradict yourself in your following post saying "there will probably be more tickets on there with a railcard". You might want to be more honest if you want to get any advise on this fourm.
 

cjb72

New Member
Joined
4 Feb 2025
Messages
3
Location
United Kingdom
Hello,
It’s not contradicting sorry. What I mean is that the rail card was on there by mistake. Which makes me wonder if it’s been on there for previous tickets.
I do apologise though for the confusion
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,813
I did say that to the ticket inspector at the time that there will probably be more tickets on there with a railcard. I was completely honest with him throughout and he told me not to panic. He said as long as I pay the penalty fare and do not repeat this I will not be contacted

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

And to add to that he didn’t hand me and MG11 nor did he ask for any further details besides my name and address (standard procedure).
And yes I buy all my tickets through the Trainline app

If he scanned your ticket they’ll have your account details. Unfortunately you’ve openly admitted what sounds like multiple previous offences so it’s almost certain they’ll be in touch with you

But don’t despair, whilst it’s likely to end up costing you more than if you’d just bought the right ticket at the time, it probably doesn’t have to mean a trip to court. You just need to engage with them when they get in touch, be honest and apologetic, and you should be offered a settlement

When they get in touch please head back here if you want more advice

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

What I mean is that the rail card was on there by mistake

And when I say being honest, you probably need to have a careful think about things like this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top