• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penalty implications

Status
Not open for further replies.

wholelatin

New Member
Joined
26 Apr 2024
Messages
2
Location
cambridge
Hello,

I have been issued a penalty fare by Thameslink. I want to ask if payment of the penalty entails that the case is closed?

Or is there a chance that this will reach court? This is my second penalty by Thameslink within a year and both of them were genuine mistakes.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

methecooldude

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2015
Messages
420
Hello,

I have been issued a penalty fare by Thameslink. I want to ask if payment of the penalty entails that the case is closed?

Or is there a chance that this will reach court? This is my second penalty by Thameslink within a year and both of them were genuine mistakes.
Normally yes, however I don't see how the words "second penalty" and "genuine mistakes" go together
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,474
Location
Somerset
Normally yes, however I don't see how the words "second penalty" and "genuine mistakes" go together
Given the fact that in a penalty fares area, there need be no intent, quite easily. A genuine ticketing mistake and a loss, for example. Only this morning I had one of those “cold shivers” moments as I approached the exit barriers and realised my ticket wasn’t where it normally lives. The barriers at the other end had been open so I’d had no cause to check then. Had the ticket not just been in the wrong pocket, I could have easily chalked up a penalty fare.
 

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2013
Messages
3,170
Normally yes, however I don't see how the words "second penalty" and "genuine mistakes" go together

I was on the Manchester Metro last week with my Bee Card in my wallet. There was a tram on the platform, so I jumped on and off we went. However, I completely forgot to tap in, and this is not the first time I have forgotten to tap in.

Luckily, I have not been gripped.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top